No Dreams Anymore

The silence of the night was no shock to most. Not even Kassa. But even without the surprise, the pure terror still appeared. There were no stars, not tonight. No light. Only the burning flames, that seemed like fake warmth rather than a beacon of Guidance.

I had learned no control. Only simple directions to my power. I kept my strength that was wavering thin to keep the wind out.

My new power was different. Unique, like all the others. It was powerful, but shy. Like it had been smashed to shards before too many times to use its full confidence. It wasn't to be underestimated.

I had a new favourite. The waves.

The way they trickled back and forth was soothing, and the coldness of it numbed the pain. Weirdly, the agony and pressure had seemed to have drowned in the new powers. It was only a simmering pot now. It could boil over. But not yet.

I opened my mouth but once again couldn't speak. Not in my own words anyway. These days I would hiss or scream for the darkness and the words were simply not mine anymore.

So I didn't bother.

Neither did Sarkon.

Aureus purred deep in her chest but that was the only reality to the night. I felt stiff and exhausted but I wasn't tired. Not in the sense where I could fall asleep.

Some part of me didn't want too. It knew the nightmares that would burden me would be too strong.

We had left Autumn. I missed the boy. But he was naive and young, he wouldn't understand the truth. The truth of everything.

It seemed now that being a red blood wasn't such a big thing, I used to hide myself and lie. Now I had nothing to lie for. No reputation or goal. I was simply a woman who had been made to be broken. I was a weapon. There was nothing for me anymore.

Not the stupid dream that I would find love, marry have children, perhaps. The dream that I could play in the fields with Jax, where we could fight from dawn 'till dusk. I don't know why I was meeting with Serta. I guess I had a quest. But it would not be a friend he would see. I was a weapon. A pawn in a game.

But as we soared over Vatsweila, the tune of foreign songs hushed all the terror and sadness for one small moment.

The swamp was coated in a thick mud on every surface. I sank a foot deep every step. But walking was what I had to do. So I did.

I stopped only when voices ripped through the silence. No. Not voices. Laughter.
"Did you see his face?!"
"I know it was like-"
"Haha! I don't think he took it well!"
"Definitely not, it's Serta! Remember?"
"Hey! I've never met him!"
"Well I hope first impressions aren't everything then!"

"Hello?" Sarkon shouted. His voice more deeper and stern than ever.
The laughter faded.

"Who's there?" I heard a snigger but the one who spoke had been serious.
Sarkon didn't reply.
We could almost see them now, but I knew who they were.

"I said, Who's there!"

"Who are you?" Sarkon said to the two that spun around clumsily, still hyper from their laughing fit from earlier.

"Jax. You?" Sarkon looked slightly in my direction but he didn't meet my eye.

"Sarkon." He gestured to the other one. Her, I had never seen.

"Tasha." The girl answered. She seemed shy now, and slowly moved closer to Jax.
Jax looked to me.

"...Kassa?.... No. It can't.... It can't be..."
I couldn't reply, but the slightest nod of my head was enough.
"Kassa! Oh my God! You look... horrendous! What has happened to you?" As if something clicked, she turned to Sarkon. "What's it you?!"
A surge of pain hit, and any voice was now silenced. I was on the floor. Deep in mud.