Part 2 ✧ Chapter 9

Cleo's POV

Easy, see? Easy. Jacob's voice rings in my head as I hurry through all the kiddos lining up for the freaky fairy caves, they were loving it. I didn't expect so many to be here, this late.

We were shutting in 10 mins, and I had just put through the last in the queue before I had to put up a sign saying it's closed.

It got really dark an hour ago at 8pm, but the carnival was absolutely gorgeous lit up at night.

Jacob said to be out by fifteen past nine, because all the lights were off by then, and it would be difficult to leave in total darkness.

I was weary of that, and didn't want to be left here with too many shadows.

I wait for the kids to finish the journey toward the exit, and then I start to head in with the broom and stick.

"Have a nice night," I farewell the last of them as they scurry off with their parents, and I head into the fae caves.

I sweep up any rubbish along the track, until my nose scrunches up and I turn a corner to see what special treat the kids left for me to clean.

Throw-up. A half-digested hotdog and milkshake.

I needed to get water and sweep it down under the tent flaps.

I check the time on my phone. 9.05.

I can already hear and see some of the major light sources turning off in the carnival.

I hurry outside to go find some water and a bucket, appreciating the clear sky, no clouds and a full moon.

My feet were a little sore and I was looking forward to putting them up when I got home. I find a bucket and fill it at a tap behind the rocking elf boat, and then I head on back to my station. I look longingly toward the exit, where my home is just across the road. I couldn't wait to have a shower.

Sigh. Soon.

As I'm looking outside the carnival grounds.

I notice a few things.

Every other casual staff is leaving, very quickly, they had nothing to clean and had nothing to worry about.

The other two things I notice were slightly more concerning.

First is being reminded of what I did this morning. So... I... I may have vandalised a few of the signs hammered into the telephone poles. I scribbled over the advertising for T L T. I may have left a few stickers about Jesus too.

The final thing that's concerning, is there is a familiar black car parked on the curb. Parked between the carnival and the way to my home.

I haul the water back into the fae caves, and I try to chill out.

That could be anyone's car from this distance.

I was just paranoid.

Even so, I'm running to complete the clean, as more lights are shut off, one ride at a time.

I couldn't get stuck here alone in the complete darkness. That would welcome them. Fucking demons.

I was done with Lycans.

But were they done with me? That question terrifies me.

I sweep the mess out of the tent with the hardened broom.

I throw all the cleaning equipment aside and I take off my yellow bib, walking toward the exit just as the last lights in the park turn off.

I power walk between the rides, seeing a large shadow ahead, I try to dodge behind a small merry-go-round –

"Cleo."