Part 2 ✧ Chapter 12

Cleo's POV

Early Next Day

Sardonix left after we fucked and the interaction from thereafter was minimal and distant. He brought me dinner, which was a good sign, but other than that, he ate away from me last night and also slept somewhere else.

Silence had kissed us.

Early the next morning, Sardonix takes me for a drive in his car. It's just me in the back, doors locked so I can't jump out. Sarodnix is in the front, his driver taking us out into the depths of the Wilder forest.

I conclude that Sardonix seems angry with me for being his 'mate' or something, and I am angry at him for being so horrible to me.

He was possessive but he was more so sadistic. He had a very bad streak. Worse than evil, it was like an impatience for my existence. It's as if he wished he could end me, but the instinct to keep me alive was the only reason I was alive. I could tell that he did not enjoy that change in his nature.

Sardonix wasn't used to being drawn toward a female – or putting in any effort for their affection.

I could tell he was beyond frustrated with me. His huge Lycan ego was prevailing... for now.

I stay seated quietly in the back of the car, curled up on the leather seats by the window, after crying all morning, I'm staring out at the forest as we get deeper and deeper into dark green foliage.

Abruptly the car stops, after we've pulled off the freeway to halt in the grass.

"Out," Sardonix barks and looks over his shoulder at me, with one mean command.

I stay where I am, and he jumps out of the car to walk around to the back door closest to the forest. He wrenches my door open, I scramble backwards but he reaches in for my ankle and drags me out.

When I've hit the grass, without another word Sardonix walks back to his side, jumps back in the car, and they're off, splattering mud all over the dirty clothes I wore again today.

I stand up, and I look up and down the empty desolate road, where no other car drives.

When I turn around, my gaze runs over the forest edge until I see an ancient sign inscribed in the bark of an ancient tree.

The Pool.

That's what this was all about? Oh.

I know what The Pool is. And Sardonix guessed I'd know.

The Pool was the purest form of water, with the purest reflection.

He wanted me to trek toward it, look into it, and whoever I saw would be the one I longed for the most.

This was a test for me.

Either Anubis would appear.

Or Sardonix.

Either one, I guess they would pull me through the other side, back to them.

A one way trip? Seems like it. Why else would Sardonix leave be alone? He said he'd be the first Lycan to keep me... very confusing to abandon me the next damn morning.

I stumble toward the sign.

In the ancient language it says four major miles.

It was a long trek, but the track was visible.

I had no choice.

I walk into the thick of the forest, starting my journey. I had no shoes either. But I'd manage.