Part 6 ✧ The Moon Witch ✧ Chapter 8

Silvia's POV

I lied about one thing.

Mirrors.

Yes... I didn't see Lycans. I could summon Asmodeus. But... there was one more thing I kept seeing.

I've dodged the party and the pack. I don't go through the ballroom and the gothic disco. I've run around the mansion to the front and I've headed upstairs, to the tower.

Selene's mansion had a stunning fourth story tower off the north side. When I've reached the top of the stairs, I have a view of all the acreage. Windows on every side, floor to ceiling... and in front of me... one large antique mirror.

It's propped there, covered in moonlight.

I had wanted to stay in the garden – outside. But after that interaction with Onyx, and the feelings of lust and love and insanity... I had to consult... to consult... well... um...

I stare at the reflection of...

Me.

But it's not me in a white toga.

It's Uleya. She's inside my mind, and when I look into the mirror she's right there, naked, with her slit throat and her dress made of blood.

The gash from Onyx's claw is deep and she doesn't feel anything because she's dead. She's me. Me dead. Me, just looking at me. She doesn't say anything. But it's her unblinking eyes that freak me out.

"You wanted this," I don't care that I'm speaking to myself, "To come back if you were to die. You know there's no reason you should look so sad. You're alive."

But she's broken. I can feel it. She's broken that he killed her. She loved him. And whether he was a young, stupid, reckless demonic pup is beyond the point. She loved him. She expressed it to him. He left her. And then he killed her when she went searching for him one more time.

It's heart ache and heart break and betrayal and sorrow and everything that comes with tragedy.

It was so difficult to look in at. But I make myself do it now.

"I can't help you," I add, "You're alive now. I might not think your memories are as important as mine – and I remember everything you remember. But what I know is more prevalent. Onyx is..." everything to me.

And he only broke up with me because she came back.

Myself.

The paradox wasn't just confusing, it was literally tearing my mind apart.

I hadn't acknowledged this to anyone, but staring at her eyes – my own, from another time, it's slowly driving me to a different madness.

Maybe it was the bloody wound on her neck – the blood that didn't stop spilling. Reminding me exactly who I was mated to. A monster. What mate hurt their own? Same answer. Monster.

That's what her eyes expressed.

Monster.

The moon comes over me then, just as I hear the creaking of stairs behind me.

Someone is looking for me.

I want to be left the hell alone for the moment.

"diversis oculis," have different eyes, I also say "perdere viam vestram," lose your way, hoping to keep myself alone for just a little longer. Doubling the curses should do it.

"What goes around... comes around... Silvia..."

She finally speaks.

For the first time.