Part 6 ✧ The Moon Witch ✧ Chapter 2

Chyronex's POV

Near Midnight

I sit around with the Luna witches in their salt circle, on the roof of the mansion. I had suggested we practice with open skies above us. I had spent the day moving in, and now that I was settled, they had all invited me to practice spell casting with them. I was curious to see what they'd know, just as they were curious about me.

I've left my hair out while wearing a yellow summer dress, feeling slightly out of place with the black clothing of the Lunas, but hey, we all had a style.

We were going to make things happen inside this small salt circle – according to the girls.

They each hold demon rib wands, which are quite impressive.

They are currently trying to revive the neighbour's cat that was killed when a car ran over it. I stare on morbidly, trying not to express any judgement...

I watch silently as the three Lunas cut the bag of human blood open and pour it into a glass bowl, all three murmuring, "vivifica!" they dip their wands into the blood and then touch it to the cat's corpse.

What I see doesn't look like a spell, more just a very rough attempt at controlled magic.

They have no luck in reviving the animal.

"redeo ad vitam," Juny tries hissing a more complex spell, dipping her wand into the blood a second time.

"vivifica... redeo ad vitam," Geraldine tries both spells, and both times again, nothing works.

They all look to me, smiling awkwardly.

"Any ideas, moon witch?" Selene asks, hopeful of any advice, "Our magic is fire – mostly... sometimes we have defensive powers... fighting related... but these kind of spells we fail at, basic resurrection for example, it's embarrassing."

"Resurrection is usually a sorcerer's magic," I think of Zarcar, "You're just saying revive, come back to life... that's also masculine as it's so straight forward... but you need to reverse what happened – you need to come at it from a woman's point of view."

"It died," Juny points at the corpse, "Come back to life. That makes sense?"

"The cat needed to be saved," I correct her, "...salvus erit... it means be saved," I don't know if it'll work, but all three become excited. It certainly has more of a chance at working, as long as one of them had true feelings for this pet.

"Salvus erit!" they point their wands into the blood.

The effect is immediate.

Although not exactly what we expect.

All four of us hear a blood curdling scream... from across the road.

"The neighbour!" Selene immediately guesses, "Shit. What did we do?"

"What happened, Nex?" Geraldine asks me.

"I bet the bastard imploded, organs crushed," Juny whispers, "A fatal death."

They all look to me for confirmation.

"We may have saved a different pet from death, if the neighbour was really just killed, I would guess they had murdered this cat and hit it with the car on purpose, giving them a rotting soul," I feel grim saying it, but it's how I reason the spell's effectiveness, "Congratulations, Juny. I think we just avenged mr. flufferton's murder."

"But how do we bring him back to life?" Juny asks, already disregarding the killed neighbour.

"Well, um," I suggest something more respectful, "How about we bury it... give his soul some rest and peace."