Part 3 ✧ Lycans & Lunas ✧ Chapter 9

Selene's POV

It's unreal, the Sentinel's penthouse, was more like a hideaway for the three fae-lycan brothers. Through high ceilings, red dark brick walls and polished black wood floors, there was a dark maze like feel to the open space. Strange pillars were covered in growing green vines, with sparkling gold-ruby-red dust touching everything. Their demon scent was on everything. They had all kinds of weird intricate ancient artefacts hanging around as well, gold pendulums and dream catchers. In all the lanterns scattered about were pixies with long sharp teeth and curly ears, trapped inside and giving off magical light. It was similar to the red demon light, but more amber. It was the main light source inside beyond the moonlight.

The furnishing was modern and all the spaces were cleverly designed by an interior decorator. I don't know by whom. Overall it was a fancy warehouse conversion, on the outskirts of Dire Wolf City, overlooking the 'Cold' Creek.

I am looking out the industrial square windows, watching all the 3am morning fog breathing about. With a crack in the open window I can hear the stream of water far below.

Aside from the perfect ambience of their mortal hideaway, our demons are far from usual.

They are not Lycan inside here.

They are Fae, they walk around their penthouse, all human, proudly naked. No wings although their black curly hair is always perfectly shiny and metallic. Oni, Arma and Amon had picked up a recipe together. They have been in the kitchen the last hour cooking us food.

Juny has fallen asleep on a blood red love couch, snoozing naked under a blanket that Gerry just laid over her.

"Come get it..." Amon growls out to Gerry from the kitchen. She stands up and hurries over to the benchtop which has a steaming stew on fresh display. From here, it smells quite good.

She sits up on a stool while Amon feeds her romantically with a spoon. He looks her all over, adoringly.

Oni is next to move after waiting for me to also come get some stew, but I'm not really in the mood for food.

My thoughts are elsewhere.

I shake my head a bit and I face the foggy window again, staring out at the creek.

I hear the floor boards creek behind me slightly with Oni's stealth feet, as he approaches and slows before reaching me. He squats down to my level from behind and asks me casually, "What are you thinking about, Selene?"

"Mm, not really thinking, more just feeling deeply," I explain, while using my finger to draw meaningless shapes in the fogged up window, "That creek is beautiful and isolated. This place is isolated – on the outskirts of everything... are we really safe here?"

"Our home is littered with magic, but it's not ours, it's ether. We used it to charm and protect the entire space. No other demon knows we live here aside from our Father and Mother. We run a business here – as you can see from the workspace," his voice is low, soothing and calming. Like a damn lullaby. I could listen to Oni talk all day.

"Do you use this workspace for meditation or something?" I guess, still not turning to face him yet.

Oni helpfully explains, "We're spiritual counsellors to the dead, we inherited the ability to read aura from our fae blood – so we... help... those in limbo," Oni then asks me a question out of the blue, so quick and striking that I can't avoid nor prepare for it, "Do you distrust me, Selene?"

"Mmhm," I finally look away from the window into Oni's handsome upturned eyes, "That's right. I don't trust you. Although I do trust you to possess me. Other than that... I hardly know you, so I don't know your full intent with us witches being here under your guard. I can't know. How can I? You have no soul."