Chapter 51

The airplane eventually landed in some deserted area, notifying Near of Soichiro's dropoff. "L, we've been able to use our satellite cameras to pinpoint where the plane has landed. I'll send you a direct video feed of what we're currently seeing here" Near informed, while Light is sitting at a desk to look at his computer, (Y/n) and Ryuk spying from behind him.

"Hahaha, so what's going to happen? How is he going to make an exchange in a place like that?" Ryuk questioned, quite amused by the outcome. They watch as a hidden staircase opened up from behind Soichiro, surprising the people watching, and making Light angered.

'It has to be... No one else is that smart to predict that we're watching them' (Y/n) thought, already figuring out who it is. "L, do you have a plan? You can't seriously think that handing the notebook over to someone, who you don't know, is a good idea, can you?" Near questioned in a mocking tone.

'Damn it, damn it, damn it! It's set back after set back! And I've only just arrived in the US, so I'm not in any position to start giving orders to the American police! At this rate... The notebook is going to be...' Light thought in anger, only to be interrupted. "Light, are you alright? You look kind of-" (Y/n) started, "(Y/N) SHUT UP AND STAY OUT OF IT!" Light yelled.

(Y/n) backed away from him in shock, tears filling up in her eyes from being yelled at. Light snapped out of his anger, realizing what he has done. "(Y/n)... I'm sorry, come here" Light calmly said, getting up from his seat to gently hug her, petting her head to calm her down.

While he is hugging (Y/n) with a guilty look, he opened his watch to use a piece of paper from the notebook. Light hesitates to write Sayu's name in the notebook, but he has no other choice. "Light... I know you're mad about Sayu's kidnap... Just remember, no one but the police knows about this case" (Y/n) persuaded, not wanting Sayu to die.

'She's right! And if she dies, I can't blame her death on Kira' Light thought, sliding the piece back into the watch. (Y/n) sighed out in relief at successfully stopping Light from killing Sayu, she then looks towards the computer. "Hey Light, look, Soichiro is walking out with Sayu" (Y/n) pointed out.

This in turn made Light whip around to head back to the computer, with mixed emotions. This outcome only means that the notebook has been exchanged. "Be careful, we still don't know what they're planning to do, beyond this point" Light warned while taking a seat in front of the computer.

"N, I need you to maintain surveillance on that helicopter, until it lands, don't lose sight of it, no matter what" Light ordered. "You make it seem like that's quite an easy task, never less, we'll do what we can... Sorry, it seems we've been tricked" Near informed, as they quickly switch to viewing the hidden hideout.

What is shown is a missile, surprising Ryuk, Light, and (Y/n) who are watching. "You won't be able to track that with a radar" Near informed. Before they could question its purpose, the missile started up, sending it into the sky, now it's the decision between watching the helicopter or the missile.

They decided to track the helicopter until they lose the signal, but they made a fatal mistake. "Damn! We can't track it! We've lost the signal, it could be anywhere now!" A man, on Near's end of the call, announced. Light leaned back in his chair, looking defeated, while occasionally petting (Y/n)'s head to calm himself down.

Misa tried to walk over to them, but (Y/n) shook her head at her, indicating to leave Light alone. But, Misa ignored the warning and tried giving Light a cup of water. Only for Light to briefly hit the glass cup to the floor, giving Misa a glare, then going back to petting (Y/n)'s head.

With Near, everyone except the Commander, a random female, a random male, and Near, had just died. This is due to Mello killing off his competition, by using the notebook. "L... He got us" Near informed, gaining Light's attention, "got you?" Light questioned. "Yes... The majority of the SPK members have just been killed by the notebook" Near informed.

This surprised Light, and confirmed (Y/n)'s suspicion on who got the notebook, somewhat relieved. "L, you were the one who handed over the notebook without a fight, you and your people were totally helpless" Near scolded. "N, are you saying if you were in command, you wouldn't have handed it over?" Light questioned.

"No, considering their preparations, it would've been impossible to avoid this, there is really no point in us corralling. I propose we work together and share information we know so far, for starters. I have a pretty good idea of who the culprits might be, I suspect the person who arranged the kidnapping, someone who goes by the name... Mello" Near informed.

"Mello? Who is he?" Light questioned, "I don't have his photograph, and I don't know his real name, all I know about him is that 4 years ago, he was living at an orphanage. Located in Winchester England, known as Wammy's House" Near lied to Light, deciding not to give away Mello's information willingly.

'Wammy's House? That's the place Watari established!' Light thought with a glare. "I believe Mello is playing a game with me, he wants to see which of us is the first to take down Kira, the final challenge" Near informed, only giving half the truth. 'Mello... Near... Please, help me soon' (Y/n) thought, slightly worried for the safety of the two.