19

Screw You;

The mountain road was rough. Chen Ming was panting and struggled to move forward.

To save money, he took a bus but ended up with an upset stomach. Not only that, because of his unscrupulous fellow passengers, the smell of leek was also around him. Every time he breathed, he felt sick.

After such torture, he lost all his strength and was in no mood to taunt.

The compass pointed directly at the hill all the way, and Chen Ming had no choice but to climb up without a word.

Zhou Nan didn’t respond, pretending to be air.

He was a little depressed. Chen Ming found Bai Yiyi’s number on the bus and switched between blacklist and phone book for a while, and finally chose the former.

He knew he had no right to interfere, but jealousy was irresistible.

After a while, Chen Ming was too exhausted to go on. He held the tree and sat down, pulled a bottle of water, and poured it into his mouth. When he was gulping down, a trickle of water ran down from the corner of his mouth to the jaw and neck, fell into the sweaty collar, and disappeared.

Zhou Nan watched his rolling Adam’s apple, feeling stimulated. He forced himself to turn around and look at the empty bird nest in the tree.

After a few gulps, Chen Ming heaved a sigh of satisfaction, as if he were in a soda advertisement. He wiped off the water stain casually as usual.

Zhou Nan gingerly glanced at Chen Ming and found that the latter was staring at him. Zhou Nan hastily averted his eyes, afraid of being found out.

Fortunately, Chen Ming was just a thoughtless straight man. He looked down at himself and touched his face, asking wonderingly, “Something dirty on me?”

Zhou Nan shook his head, “No, no.”

“Then why are you staring at me?”

“I… I think you’ve got good stamina.” He made a random excuse, “You only had a sandwich and could climb so far.”

Chen Ming was the type who would be easily encouraged by compliments: “That’s true, I used to be in the school track-and-field team. Even though I am resting, after drinking some water, I-”

He was interrupted by a shout. Looking over, he saw a man running towards them. The man was waving a sickle and yelling very fast something that could not be understood.

That was too scary and the atmosphere became tense. Chen Ming stood up and hid behind the tree, “Ah! Bro! Calm down and put down the weapon!”

The man stopped a few meters away and continued to speak the dialect, waving his arms exaggeratedly and comically to drive Chen Ming away.

“Bro, do you… speak Mandarin? I can’t understand the dialect.” Chen Ming asked helplessly.

The man took a deep breath and spoke brokenly. Chen Ming barely understood that the man wanted to chase him away, since outsiders were not allowed in the mountain.

Zhou Nan glanced at Chen Ming to see how he would react.

Chen Ming looked down at the compass. Under the scratched glass cover, the little magnetic needle seemed to be driven by a strange and powerful force. It trembled but firmly pointed towards the summit.

Just after a few seconds of hesitation, the man blew up again, yelling and drawing near. His hands were almost on Chen Ming’s face.

“Alas, alas! I’ll go, I’ll go!” Chen Ming carried the compass and the bag. Instead of going down, he walked sideways, taking two steps down from time to time, like a crab.

The man stood there, gasping with anger.

Zhou Nan saw Chen Ming blink at him. Chen Ming’s way of walking clearly showed his intention. Zhou Nan picked up a small stone and threw it in the bushes in the opposite direction, making a small sound.

The man waved his head sharply and his eyes were wide open.

Chen Ming was pleased. He seized the opportunity and rushed up the mountain, easily breaking in the man’s enclosure. The speed was commendable, and Zhou Nan knew that Chen Ming had really been in the track-and-field team.

The man couldn’t just let him go, roared and caught up at a comparable speed.

Chen Ming looked back and was surprised by the man’s perseverance and strength. To intimidate the man, he warned loudly, “Stop chasing me! I’m a runner!”

The man swore back.

When one was trying to master a language, cursing was always the easiest to learn. Chen Ming heard: “Fuck you!”

A/n: No regional discrimination. I just think this sounds funny.