65

65. My Man Could Be Mean

To resurrect soul in his dead body, Zhou Nan still needed tears from a grieved baby, so he was eager to catch this ugly little clown.

The speed at which the baby crawled was comparable to that he floated. They chased through the city, climbing up lamp posts and passing between pedestrians. But no one noticed the chase, as if they were in a different world.

Zhou Nan did nothing other than following the baby. No matter what tricks it played, it couldn’t escape from Zhou Nan. Finally, the baby made a misjudgment and was cornered to a dead end. It wanted to climb over the wall but was grabbed by the ankles. Zhou Nan lifted the baby upside down and started spanking it.

“Now, cry! I’ll let you go if you do as I say.” Indeed, Zhou Nan only wanted tears, and he didn’t care whether this baby would affect Bai Yiyi’s life. He hated Bai Yiyi, as she had a relationship with Chen Ming but didn’t take it seriously, as she was once with Chen Ming but never cherished him, as she broke up with Chen Ming but wanted to make it up now.

The baby kept screaming and crying with not a single drop of tear.

Zhou Nan did not show sympathy even if it was a little baby, lifting it up and down like crazy, “Can you please not just let out cries but also some tear drops?”

After a while, the baby seemed to become dizzy and run out of  strength to cry. It stopped struggling and looked feeble being carried up and down in the air.

Only then did Zhou Nan realize it was a baby that he grabbed after all. He stopped his violent movements, turned his head and asked, “Are you still alive?”

Zhou Nan did not expect that the ghost baby suddenly straightened up and tried to bite Zhou Nan’s face.

Zhou Nan quickly responded and dodged the sudden attack. He didn’t mean to but subconsciously moved his hand away, banging the ghost baby directly onto the wall. The poor little thing was completely giddy.

“How could you bite me?” Zhou Nan pulled the baby off the wall and patiently said, “After all, you are somewhat like a human being, right? But you know nothing about human manners. Now let me tell you, human beings don’t randomly bite others.”

Seeing Zhou Nan not only have no intention of putting it down but also keep blathering, the baby was scarlet with rage. It suddenly said like a human being,”PUT ME DOWN!” The voice was not childish and seemed to come from  an old man who had lived for a century.

It was so weird, and Zhou Nan was frightened, “You…you can even change your voice?”

“Put me down!”

Zhou Nan didn’t compromise, “I’ll let you down if you cry.”

The grieved baby realized its threat didn’t work for Zhou Nan and guessed he might be the type not amenable to compulsion, so it tried to persuade Zhou Nan with reason, “I won’t cry. If I drop a tear, ghost soldiers would come and take me back to the Underworld. You are also a ghost, I think you understand how I want to stay in the Earth.”

“I DON’T understand! I want to stay here because I have someone I like, what about you?” Zhou Nan refuted without thinking, “Cry now, and the White Impermanence will come and take you home.”

“No!” Probably its strength recovered, and the baby started to struggle again, repeatedly yelling, “Put me down! I still have things to do!” If its voice weren’t so hoarse, no one could say no to a wriggling chubby baby.

Zhou Nan was always curious and compassionate, “What do you need to do?”

“To claim debts! They have to pay the price!”

Zhou Nan was confused, “Who are they?”

“The family that made me reincarnate!” The baby waved its arms emotionally and continued, “Why? Why did I have to go through all those hardships for reincarnation and end up like this–not even a human being? I hate that woman, so I come to torture her every day. Today is the last day, now that’s enough antidote to my resentment. However, the man still needs to pay the price. I want to take one soul and one sense from him, making him a fool forever!”

Zhou Nan stretched out his arm to hold the spitting baby away from his face, “Hey… calm down.”

“I can’t! I’m angry! Let me down! So I can swear even more loudly at them!” Indeed, it must feel bad about hanging upside down for so long.

Zhou Nan somehow hesitated and put it down.

When the grieved baby got to the ground, it was still so angry that it was stomping his feet and forgot to run. The baby looked so small, but had a temper. He lived for just a few days, but his swearing vocabulary was rich. He stood there and cursed madly for a long time.

In order to look into the baby’s eyes, Zhou Nan had to squat down. He said, “Cool down.”

The baby pointed at the tip of Zhou Nan’s nose and gasped as if it wanted to scold him.

Zhou Nan was ready to surrender, shrinking his neck and waiting for complaints. But he only heard, “You are the first one who would listen to my swearing for so long. Good! I like you!”

Of course, no one else could see it, let alone listening to it.

Zhou Nan smiled awkwardly.

“Just give me three days, I’m going to fix that old man.” The baby reached out his hand and showed three tiny fingers, “Three days later, come back to this place. I promise you to cry!”

It was the first time that Zhou Nan heard someone make a promise to cry with such vigor.

No contact information and no signed contract. Normally no one would believe a shaky oral promise, but Zhou Nan really believed it, nodding and saying “yes”. He was silly and naive.

Even the grieved baby felt surprised, “Aren’t you afraid that I just lied to you?”

“Nope. I believe that ghosts like us have feelings. I believe that your hatred is real. I also believe that you won’t like to stay in the Earth for too long. The right path is to soon enter a new reincarnation and start a new life.” Zhou Nan smiled, showing a row of neat white teeth. This was the kind of sunny smile fascinating girls.

The grieved baby froze for a minute and felt like finding its confidant.

But before it could say thanks, Zhou Nan looked back at the entrance of the lane to confirm that Chen Ming wasn’t there, and continued to threaten the baby in a low voice, “Let me tell you, my man could be very mean. If you dare to lie to me, you’ll be in trouble!”

Well, good chance to bluff while Chen Ming was absent.