69

69. Legend of White Snake?

When it was almost dawn, there was a loud sound of rhythmic tapping coming from outside the room. Three taps and then a stop. The strength was completely the same every time.

Chen Ming woke up, but not because of that noise. There was a little kid in his arms who had been shaking excitedly, so it was not easy to sleep soundly under the circumstances.

He walked out of the bedroom in his slippers unwillingly, scratching his belly and yawning, “Ah, who is it? This is too early, bro… sorry, sis.”

Through the window, he could see a woman with particularly clear eyes in green color that were unforgettable for people who saw them for the first time. It was summer, and even in the early morning, and it was not cold at all. But the woman was wearing long trousers and gloves and had a plain paper fan covering her face.

Chen Ming rolled up the curtains and narrowed his eyes to look at her carefully for half a second. He immediately breathed a sigh of relief, as if he no longer blamed the woman for disturbing his dreams in the early morning.

Zhou Nan floated out of the inner room with a long face. Chen Ming didn’t care, but the ghost was still upset. He hadn’t hugged his boyfriend enough.

“What do you need?”

“A bunch of orchids.” She spoke quite slowly, and it sounded like she took all the effort to say every word.

Chen Ming answered and turned back to fetch the flowers. Zhou Nan hurriedly floated closer, reached out his hands mischievously to the buyer’s eyes, and after getting no reaction, he even wanted to further move the paper fan aside to see the woman’s true face.

But the woman smoothly moved aside and averted her eyes. No one knew whether it was intentional or coincidental.

Chen Ming prepared the flowers, returned to the window, secretly took Zhou Nan to the side, smiled and said to the woman, “Miss, your flowers.”

The woman didn’t answer, but then asked, “How much?”

“Three yuan.”

The woman took out several coins with one hand and pushed them to Chen Ming like doing a magic trick.

Chen Ming only cast a cursory glance, shook the flowers in his hand and said, “Your flowers.”

The woman slowly took the flowers, and smelled them gently. They could tell that she was smiling from her eyes.

Seeing that she didn’t intend to leave, Chen Ming asked again, “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Her bright eyes were immediately fixed on Chen Ming, “Excuse me… Do I… look like a human being?”

The question startled Zhou Nan. He looked the woman up and down again, and he felt very strange. The cowardly ghost was scared, so he retreated back to the inner room, and leaned over the door frame to look carefully.

There was no big reaction from Chen Ming, just a brief hesitation.

The woman saw Chen Ming hesitated, and then she immediately began to tremble. It was hard to tell whether she was excited or nervous.

But soon, Chen Ming smiled and said, “Yes, you’re a pretty girl.” He gathered the coins in the palm of his hand, stopped attending to the customer as if he knew that she would leave, and turned to the inner room.

The woman said to Chen Ming’s back, “My name is Chang Baisheng. Thank you, my benefactor.” That sentence was very smooth and beautiful.

Zhou Nan didn’t understand what the woman meant. But seeing Chen Ming behaving so calmly, he wondered if he just didn’t get enough sleep. He made way and followed Chen Ming to the trash can. Then he saw the latter throw the coins in.

“Is there an earthquake coming?” Zhou Nan suddenly asked this out of the blue.

“Huh?”

“The old people said that animals will do something abnormal before a catastrophe.” For example, Chen Ming in front of him, suddenly decided to throw money into the garbage can like dirt, “It’s three yuan after all!”

Chen Ming smiled, “Take a good look.”

Zhou Nan took another look, and found that there were a few stones and a dead mouse lying in the garbage can, but no trace of the coins. He rubbed his eyes and felt like he was being made fun of, “Is that girl a magician? Can we call the police now?”

Chen Ming knocked on his head, “How could a magician come to buy flowers early in the morning just to show off and get herself into jail? That girl? That is not even a human being.”

Zhou Nan took a deep breath and looked out, seeing that the mysterious woman with the orchids was gone. He lost some strength on his body, grabbed a pillow and screamed, “She’s gone! Chen Ming! She’s gone! What happened?!”

Such a timid ghost was indeed rare these days.

“What are you afraid of? Ghosts? But it is not a ghost.” Chen Ming walked back, closed the window and told Zhou Nan at a distance, “For a monster, when it comes to a certain state of its cultivation where it would be able to turn into a human being, it must find someone to confirm that it is human. The common good way is to do good things. The fox monster practices medicine to save people. But there are also evil ways, like making a noise in the middle of the night to scare people.”

Zhou Nan trembled out of fear and stood against the wall. He was afraid that the woman would suddenly appear behind him.

“Her surname is Chang. She is probably a snake monster. She should be called Immortal Chang in the future, just like Immortal Huang. They are both very spiritual animals.” Chen Ming sat cross-legged on the bed, “I guess that she was warmly dressed because she was afraid that others might notice the scales on her body which haven’t faded away. She covered her mouth because of her long snake tongue. She hid behind the counter because she was still a snake in her lower body.”

Zhou Nan floated over and stuck on Chen Ming like grabbing a straw, “Could she see me?”

“Of course.”

Oh, then it seemed that he had done something stupid.

Zhou Nan asked with an awkward smile, “Then she called you a benefactor because you were aware that she was Immortal Chang but still willing to help her?”

“She rejected the evil ways and chose to use this way to break through the barrier of the cultivation. She was still kind-hearted. That helpful Immortal Huang was also a positive example. It means that it’s not always bad to help the monsters with their cultivation. So I just did her a favor.” Chen Ming sneered at the little snake’s trick, because it was indeed a bit silly. If she met others, she was not likely to succeed.

“Benefactor, benefactor… It reminded me of the Legend of White Snake.” Zhou Nan’s cheeks bulged and he started to feel jealous again.

Chen Ming raised his hand and poked Zhou Nan’s round face, “You’re just having bad intentions.”

“Bad intentions could get me a boyfriend!” Zhou Nan tilted his head and kissed Chen Ming’s face, seizing the great opportunity.