80

80. Endless Corridor

In the green glow of the night-vision device, Chen Ming soon noticed the black spots on the ground not far away. He walked over, squatted down and found a string of small footprints. He reached for a little dirt on the footprints, put it near the tip of his nose and smelt blood.

Chen Ming suddenly became nervous because of the smell.

These footprints looked much like those of a baby. He was afraid that the little ghost would blatantly run away to harm Liu Qi.

He knew that it wasn’t going well if he guessed correctly.

Chen Ming followed the footprints to the corridor, both sides of which were identical, with alternating wooden doors and abstract paintings on the walls that were hard to be appreciated by ordinary people. The small footprints which extended straight into the distance and disappeared in the shadow were invisible even with the help of the night-vision device.

He moved forward, no longer gentlely or quietly, for the carpet perfectly cushioned the sound. After he walked for a long time, everything in front of him remained almost the same as if the corridor had no end.

The mansion was grand and exaggeratedly endless.

Fortunately, with the night-vision device, he could see something. If someone walked in this pitch dark and endless corridor without any light, he would lose his mind sooner or later.

Chen Ming stopped and looked at the oil painting aside in which was a lady wearing a lot of jewellery. To put it mildly, she was plump, and to put it crudely, she was fat. She held her hands on her knees and sat with a smile. The wrinkles on her face were painted vividly.

He continued to advance, but instead of focusing on the bloody footprints, he paid attention to these paintings. After a while, he saw the same lady again, therefore, he confirmed he had encountered the situation where ghosts created the circle and made people reach nowhere.

He had just taught the timid ghost how to use this skill the other day, but now it was his turn.

“Yo ha, the endless corridor? You’re a good player.” Chen Ming walked to the nearest door and pressed the door handle, trying to leave the corridor, but unfortunately the door was locked. He still pressed hysterically.

Venting his anger on the door handle was useless and he was still not able to leave here. However, Chen Ming didn’t care much about it. He reached out to his mouth, mumbling, “There will be danger again.” As soon as he opened his mouth to bite his finger, he heard a low voice roaring from behind him which was so loud that it shook the corners of his clothes.

Chen Ming reacted unhurriedly,  tilting his head and waiting to see what would happen next.

After a pause, the voice roared again, accompanied by the approaching sound of heavy footsteps. The pace was getting faster and faster, from slow to fast. Eventually it became a rush. The sound gave a hint when the distance between the two was getting shorter. Unknown creatures in the dark which made people imagine horrible things would always bring untold panic.

But Chen Ming seemed born without the feeling of fear. He remained calm and even had a little expectation.

Suddenly, something badly mutilated rushed out of the shadows, like a high-speed train moving towards Chen Ming. The unexpected visual impact could almost frighten one to death. However, in the end, the strange thing turned into nothing immediately when it was about to touch Chen Ming, as if it had disappeared from the world, leaving no trace.

Chen Ming kept still in the whole process, even without the slightest tremor, and he stared without blinking at that strange thing which turned out to be a false alarm. Finally, his eyes were filled with disappointment, “I thought there would be some monsters, however, it was actually a kind of witchcraft of distraction. How boring it is, little bro. What is the intention? To buy time?”

Chen Ming knew that ghosts were good at creating illusion, but that would cause no bad influence as long as one’s mind was under control.

Without the troublemaker, he continued to try to get rid of the situation of entering nowhere. He bit his finger and a crystal blood drop oozed from the wound. He flicked his fingers and everything around him changed as the blood drops fell.

Updates by sky novel. org
He looked around and found he was in the wilderness outside the courtyard. There was no grand mansion at all.

God knew when the ghosts started to confuse him.

It was not a serious problem, but teased by a ghost, Chen Ming couldn’t help sulking. When hearing a crow croak, he childishly thought he was made fun of, so he picked up stones to throw at it blindly. There were sounds of the branches and leaves quivering as well as the wings fluttering, but it was hard to know whether the crow had been hit or not.

So where to go now? Back to the mansion?

Chen Ming looked around with his hands on hips, quite helpless. The compass was useless because he didn’t even know where he was. He was afraid that he could not get out of the forest until sunrise. He was not worried about whether Liu Qi would be in trouble at all, but he was afraid that Zhou Nan would not be able to stay alone with the body overnight.

Just when he was at his wits’ end, a clear female voice suddenly sounded behind him which was quite familiar, “Are you in trouble, my benefactor? I wonder if I can help.”

He turned back and saw a gentle woman in a light coloured chest-lined skirt, with big bright eyes and long hair over her shoulders.

In the middle of the night, a girl in the Hanfu suddenly appeared in the wilderness. Chen Ming was a little surprised, but when he noticed the orchid on her hair, he smiled meaningfully and said, “You have come at the right time.”