46 - an irreversible deed

You panted, sweating profusely as you knelt to the ground, trying to catch your breath.

A prickly nose nudged your forehead, black eyes staring into your soul, concern evident in them.

"I'm fine," you smiled softly, attempting to stand up.

The final scroll which you had been handed focused on the application of the dragons and general skills you'd learnt, specifically in battle.

Each scroll was closed with a badge, one which seemed like a random pattern until you put it together. The first scroll, which focused primarily on breathing techniques and basic quirk usage, was sealed with a simple black ring clasp. The second, which focused on getting into the subspace and creating various types of holograms, was sealed with a black clasp which resembled a ring of fire.

Finally, the third scroll which you held in your hands right now, was sealed with a black wax dragon. Putting them all together, you had the family seal in your hands.

"Y/N?" Mandalay asked, heading inside after a while to see your state. "You made the connection."

"The connection was easy to make," you sighed, pocketing the seal. "Each of the Trusted received a scroll based on their strength, each one holding a different clasp. They were surely interconnected somehow. Keeping the scrolls together reveals the true power of the Dragon Heiress."

You suddenly burst into a coughing fit, falling to your knees as the walls of your lungs squeezing in as breathing became more and more difficult. Mandalay rushed to your side, along with the one dragon you, nudging your forehead for a response.

Diffusing the dragon to save power, you attempted getting up, only to realise that you were still weak.

"No way my dragon caused that fit," you whispered hoarsely, turning to face Mandalay.

"Keeping the scrolls together is a risk, that power is too large for anyone," Mandalay sighed, pointing over to the scrolls which were now quarantined in their separate bags. "It's little, but it will do. The scrolls must remain with the Trusted until you can contain that much power."

"Sosaki-San-" you protested, only to be shot down by her glare. "Understood. I just want to know one thing."

"Ask away darling," she chirped in response.

"I was five when my mother died," you began. "You were 21. Why didn't you take me in? I was wandering in the slums for nearly three years wondering what I'd done wrong for everyone I knew to abandon me. So why didn't you take me in?"

Mandalay froze at your question, shocked that you'd asked it.

"It's lunchtime," she whispered, eyes downcast.

She was avoiding the topic, avoiding you all over again.

"Sosaki-San!" You scoffed indignantly, blocking the exit. "I need an answer, what went wrong?"

"I used to babysit you remember?" She smiled sadly, walking past you. "I couldn't officially adopt the child of someone I idolised. That would just confirm the fact that Yuma was dead."

Your breath hitched at that, fists clenching subconsciously in response.

"I don't expect you to forgive me for leaving you, but I'm still sorry. I searched for you afterwards, the hospitals, even used my telepathy," Mandalay sighed, voice cracking.

"But by that time I was already in the US for treatment," you recalled. "Burns treated with ease before I was sent out, the nurses assuming I had a father. I ran into All Might years later, him having known me since I was born."

"That's how you finally got home," Mandalay finished. "I'm sorry I was too much of a coward to keep you safe Y/N, your health-"

"It's fine, Sosaki-San," you sighed, turning to her. "After all, everything happens for a reason, doesn't it?"

Walking into the dining hall seemingly hours later, you saw your class cooking, their exhaustion visible.

"Y/N!" Kirishima grinned tiredly. "Dude where were you?"

"I was training as well, just in a different setting," you smiled, grabbing a cutting board to chop the vegetables. "I'll tell you more later, it was terrible."

"Which one of you fuckers cut the chives!" Bakugo yelled, chopping the vegetables at an amazing speed.

"Y/N! We need heat!" Ashido called.

"Call Shoto, I absorb heat," you groaned, stirring the mixing pot. "Man my hero costume really needs more lighters and matches on it, I'll have to get that altered."

"Y/N, please refrain from muttering to yourself when we're focusing, it's distracting," Tenya sighed, patience running thin with everyone's antics.

"Yeah, yeah," you grinned waving him off. "Where's Midoriya-San?"

"Said something about someone uh...." Kirishima began but trailed off.

"Training with Jamming-yay," Jirou informed, slapping Bakugo upside the head for causing an explosion instead of providing heat to the stove.

You nodded in response, lips pursed as soon as you heard his name. You'd nearly forgotten about him the entire day, and were floating on a cloud of happiness, something only he could bring you down from.

"Y/N?" Kirishima asked, placing a hand on your shoulder. "I'm getting worried man, Kaminari and you haven't been the same and you're avoiding each other. And....."

He trailed off, leaving you confused as to what he wanted to say. Though you didn't press, nor did you answer him, as you dished out some of the hot stew onto your plate and sat down.

"Hey," Bakugo began, sitting opposite you.

It was only the two of you on that table, everyone else having clustered elsewhere, almost as if it were planned.

"Oh, Midoriya-San!" You gasped, getting up as you noticed the greenette rushing in. "Here, I'll get that for you."

"No it's ok Y/N-Sama, I just need three plates," he grinned.

"Three?" You asked, confused.

"Yeah, one each for Kaminari, Kota and me," he explained, to which you nodded, returning back to your seat.

Bakugo sat, glaring at where the greenette entered from, poking at his food. You retook your place opposite him, though he refused to meet your eyes this time. The same fire that was always visible in them was so dull now, a phenomenon you'd only seen when he realised that you stood up for him at the sports festival.

Now, months after the sports festival, he bore that same expression facing you, this time with an undertone of disappointment. Kirishima trailing off, Bakugo quiet.

What had you done?

A/N: one more chapter until this part is officially over, a.k.a Bakugo gets kidnapped!!

QOTD: thoughts on Y/N and her backstory?

Have a great day/night!!