77 - Listen to the Truth

A video played late at night. Your mother had told you to go to bed hours ago, and you listened, only creeping out for a glass of water. You expected her to be asleep as well, and made sure to tread lightly so as to not wake her, only to see something you would have never expected.

She sat in front of the television in her wedding dress, watching replays of her wedding. It was one of the only sources where she could see all her friends happy and in one place.

For one died, one left, and the last turned his back on their morals.

"Hello?" You rasped, waking up from the phone call early that morning.

You instantly shot up as you realised who it was, grabbing your costume and weaponry, the call on speaker.

"Calm down, m'lady," Nighteye groaned. "I'm benching you and Deku, it's dangerous. I'll call you as soon as we need more manpower, but until then stay at U.A."

"Sir I can continue with desk duty, you can train Deku, we have to work quickly on this case who knows how long that girl will live?" You argued.

"My decision is final, Lady L/N. Argue and I will have you off the case completely," Nighteye decided.

"Fine," you sighed, as he hung up.

"Apathy-chan?" Kaminari mumbled, noticing you'd left his side.

"Go back to sleep Lightning Bug, it's early," you yawned, handing him an extra blanket. "I'll wake you up for school."

"What no, I'm coming with you," Kaminari protested, getting up. "You're clearly only going to blow something up in your temperament, so either come back next to me or I'll come with you."

Your eyes widened at his determination, his eyes which were so adamant yet held a trace of fear behind them. You relented, and relaxed your shoulders, joining his side once again.

"See, that wasn't so difficult," Kaminari grinned, ruffling your hair. "You gotta relax a bit."

"I'm working a case to save a girl," you glared. "That girl is on death's door, I can't just leave her."

"It's just another kid Y/N, we won't be able to save everyone," Kaminari mumbled, causing you to freeze up.

You stayed silent. He didn't know how you grew up, no one did except Kirishima and Iida. He didn't know that you had a personal reason to solve this case. Yet you were still disappointed that he didn't understand your drive, that he was willing to give up.

You had hoped that he would've helped the kid, given her as much comfort as he did to you on that night.

"She's just a kid," you mumbled, voice breaking. "She doesn't need to go through all that, does she?"

"Of course not, my Apathy-chan," Kaminari soothed, running his fingers through your hair, holding you close to his chest. "You're right, we should help. But sleep some more first."

You nodded, yawning as you snuggled into his warmth once more, only to have to wake up all too soon for school. Your hero training today was nothing out of the ordinary, a set of challenges that resembled the sports festival to decide on two final contestants.

Rock climbing, rope swinging, mazes, dodging. Anyone who failed to complete those four tasks was eliminated, with the last to finish being eliminated alongside them. The catch? All four tasks had to be done without quirks, until the final duel.

"Is that clear?" Aizawa asked, clipboard ready. "This isn't graded, but rather to show you where to improve."

Everyone nodded at that, running in as soon as he started the clock. The first task was a simple maze designed by Cementoss, and overlooked by multiple Ectoplasm clones to ensure the times would be accurately noted. You had some difficulty with this one, but remembered to stick to the same pattern of turns and eventually made it out, soon after Yaoyorozu, Todoroki, Iida and Midoriya.

Those four had already gone ahead, and were soon followed by you, to the dodging task. This task was manned by Snipe, who had harmless projectiles set up, which the students would have to avoid. They were laced with a sedative from Recovery Girl, to ensure that you would stop moving as soon as you were struck.

Many failed this task, as they attempted to use their quirks out of instinct, though most with a more offense based quirk managed to pull through.

The third task was rock climbing, which would get you to the ledge from which you would have to swing down onto the battlefield. In this task, Asui, Iida, Midoriya, Bakugo and you were the only ones who passed as everyone else was either unable to continue or attempted to use their quirk. However, Midoriya was immediately eliminated as he'd arrived on that ledge last.

Which left the four of you frantically climbing down with the ropes, careful to not get any rope burns. Asui ended up slipping half way, and caught by Aizawa's scarf, though the three of you landed safely on the other end.

"Bakugo, 32 minutes and 54 seconds. Y/N, 32 minutes and 57 seconds. Iida, 33 minutes and 3 seconds, you're eliminated," Aizawa announced. "Congratulations on your times, the three of you. Midnight will now be conducting your duel."

Bakugo and you nodded, both standing on one edge of the designated boundary, created by Power Loader. It was clear that both of you would go all out, that both of you wanted to win.

So you lunged in, as soon as Midnight declared you could, not holding back like you did at the sports festival. Bakugo shot explosion after explosion at you, each one of which you deflected by absorbing them, while you only kicked and punched.

Of course, this only left the arena covered in a lot of smoke, perfect for you to hide in as you could easily track the blonde's heat signature. He realised your plan quickly and turned around, though it was already too late: you'd already pounced on him and pinned him down.

Knowing that he'd try to escape, you grabbed both wrists as well, absorbing any excess heat that might be of use to him thereby temporarily disabling his quirk.

"Y/N wins, Bakugo's down!" Midnight announced as soon as the smoke cleared.

"You didn't take it seriously," Bakugo glared up at you, attempting to free his wrists.

"I only used one quirk, because it was more tactically appropriate," your scoffed, getting up. "Your recklessness will be your downfall, Bakugo-San."

"Nice one, Apathy-chan!" Kaminari laughed, high fiving you, as Ashido pulled you into a hug.

"You totally kicked his ass babe!" Ashido grinned. "Kinda hot."

"Was that a pun, Mina?" You gasped.

"Puns are the lowest form of comedy," Todoroki grumbled.

Though as you laughed and talked with your friends, you didn't realise that one pair of eyes was glowering at you. The only other person to hear your conversation with Bakugo, was someone who knew how much the blonde trusted you, and knew how dependent he was on your presence. But he knew better than to question it, trusting your judgement.

For you were closer with Bakugo than he was, had been, and ever would be.

A/N: decided to break the trauma bond quickly!! But yeah, we'll have a VERY negative development in Bakugo's character (he has one in this arc anyways), and a development in the reader's character as well I just don't know if it should be positive or negative yet

QOTD: who do ya'll think was glaring daggers at Y/N?

QOTD pt 2: what do you guys think about the new ✨development✨ in the BakuY/N friendship

Have a great day/night!!