62 - To Close A Gap

— Part 5: Begin! —

"Alright everyone, I made each of you the tea you requested," you smiled, as all the girls relaxed in their pyjamas.

It was weird seeing them like this. Just this month, you were all coming down in the hot tub, shrieking with glee in pyjamas. But now, the mood was more sombre.

One of your own had been attacked.

"Y/N-chan, you seem very distracted," Asui pointed out. "Is it your ultimate move? I found it very impressive, kero."

"No, Tsuyu-kun, don't worry," you smiled. "It's just nice getting to see all of you relaxed again. The past week has been tense, I know Katsuki hates it, as do I."

"Speaking of," Ashido began. "Are you and Bakugo dating?"

"Huh," you deadpanned, before realising exactly what she'd said. "Are you suggesting that my standards are that low?"

"Well you two have a great dynamic, like yin and yang," Jirou explained. "You're in sync as well."

You pursed your lips, looking down at your cup of tea. Simply looking Jirou in the eyes hurt. But you didn't understand why. She was your best friend, after all, you couldn't avoid her that was simply ridiculous.

"So you do like him!" Ashido squealed.

"Uh no," you mumbled, trying to think up something.

Happy persona, extroverted, constantly smiling. He was the first person to come to your mind as you attempted to get her off your back. But he liked your best friend.

"I like Eijiro," you blurted in a panic, clutching the cup tightly, hoping that Ashido would buy it. "But I've got it covered!"

"If you say so girl!" Ashido laughed, before draping her arm over Uraraka. "And who's got you so distracted? Is it Midoriya or Iida? You're always with them."

"Ochaco-chan," you began darkly. "If it's Tenya, we may have to reconsider our entire friendship."

"W-why!" She squealed. "And it's nothing like that, they're just friends!"

She stammered, floating herself due to embarrassment, though she noticed something outside which caused her to blush uncontrollably.

"Oi," you glared, pulling her down with the help of your dragon. "Focus. You're both training to be heroes, the last thing you need on the field is a distraction. He's more dedicated than any of us. Don't do it to yourself."

"I know Y/N, I won't overstep," Uraraka sighed. "He has his goals and I have mine."

You inhaled sharply remembering that you never had a clear goal. Sure, you wanted to save people and remove the blotch your heritage had from your reputation, but you also knew that you singlehandedly couldn't reshape the hero system. Even with someone by your side, you were well aware that they had to be as strong emotionally as your father was to your mother, so that you could rely on them when the going got tough.

"Good that you have his space in mind, but remember to watch for your space as well," Yaoyorozu chirped, noticing that you were frozen. "And try to take the right time. I am not fond of gossip as Ashido is, but wait too long and someone else might make a move. Seeing you hurt would be worse."

"Thanks guys, but I promise, it's nothing like that," Uraraka insisted.

"If you say so Ochaco-chan," Asui nodded. "We have the licensing exam tomorrow. I'm off to sleep, don't want to mess up there."

"Tsuyu-kun is right," you grumbled.

"I told you to call me Tsu!" Asui scolded.

"Sorry," you nodded, heading off to the stairs, only to run into someone unexpected.

"So, Kirishima, huh?" Kaminari grinned, to which you dragged him to your room.

"Shut up Lightning Bug," you snarled. "Let it out and I'll let everyone know that you like Kyoka."

The boy looked shocked for a second, probably because you'd found out what he attempted to hide, though quickly covered it and regained his confidence.

"Fine, I won't tell anyone," Kaminari grumbled. "But tell anyone about Ji and I'll have Bakugo kill you myself."

"Oh please, Kats'ki loves me more than he cares for you," you smirked, leaning in to brush his hair aside. "You lost, darling."

"Is that so, love?" Kaminari asked, cupping your cheek. "Because last time I checked, Bakugo cared about his best friend more than he does for you."

Your breath hitched briefly as you noticed the position you were stood in: you having pinned Kaminari to the door, him cooing desperately, the space between you getting closer.

Until he closed it.

A million thoughts flew through your head as he kissed you, sparks dancing on your lips, only for you to do something you came to regret.

The next morning was absolutely terrible. Way too many people were energetic, the bus was loud, the summer sun was blinding. Worst of all, friendships couldn't be more tense.

"Didn't sleep properly?" Todoroki asked, standing next to you.

"Something along the lines of that," you sighed. "Don't feel like talking about it. How did you sleep?"

"I slept alright, the dinner you made was very filling, thank you," he nodded. "Are you perhaps nervous about the exam?"

"No, no," you laughed, looking over at the familiar stadium. "Nothing like that. But when I work through it I can assure you, you'll be the first to know."

"Promise me you won't keep big secrets from me anymore?" Todoroki asked, lifting his pinkie up.

You twined your pinkie around his, grinning up at him.

"Consider it done," you declared. "And by the end of this, when we're both licensed, I might just tell you."

"Don't count your chickens before they hatch," Aizawa scolded.

"Totally guys, let's become heroic chickens!" Kaminari laughed, pulling the class into a group huddle.

He was happier than ever, as if nothing had happened last night.

As if you hadn't pushed him away again.

As if he hadn't kissed you eventhough he liked your best friend.

But you couldn't even tell your best friend, because she didn't even know that Kaminari liked her, much less about your complicated relationship with the blonde.

So you just smiled along with everyone.

Fought alongside them all.

And yelled words you'd yelled time and time again, as if it were a routine.

A routine you just wanted to break.

'Plus Ultra!'

A

/N: I promise I love you guys. But my heart needs more Kaminari angst.

QOTD: we're in part 5 which is the second to last part from seasons 1 - 4. Any developments you'd like to see before (or in) part 6 ends?

QOTD pt 2: should I make a second book for seasons 5 onwards? If yes, comment on title ideas!

Have a great day/night!