28

Chapter 28 - Birthday Banquet

Madam Xu's calculations were excellent, but Madam Dara was not someone to be bullied.

Madam Dara sipped the tea, and said calmly, "this matter is not for me to decide, nor is it for my eldest sister-in-law to decide. My three sons and daughters have just returned from Qingzhou, and the Old Master is overjoyed. If I don't let them go to the front to celebrate the old lady's birthday, the Old Master and the Old Lady will definitely be unhappy. Not only that, I'm afraid he would have to say that hanbin and the others are unfilial."

Her words were true. Anyone with a discerning eye could tell that the Old Master cared more about the Second Branch and loved their children even more. It was precisely because of this that the old lady's opinion of the Second Branch grew. Today, she was able to put on a good face with great difficulty.

Apparently, Madam Xu had received orders from the old lady and had come without the Old Master's permission.

Unfortunately, Madam Dara was still the same as many years ago. She was difficult to control, so she easily blocked her with a single sentence.

Madam Xu laughed softly. It was precisely because of her personality that she was so straightforward with her. When Madam Dara  had just entered the Duke Dingguo's Mansion, Madam Xu had been very courteous to her. At least, they had maintained peace on the surface. However, she slowly discovered that Madam Dara was not hard or soft, but had a heart of stone. If you were to speak to her in a feigned manner, she would completely ignore you. Since she had provoked Madam Xu, they would no longer be polite.

Even so, there was nothing she could do about Madam Dara.

Like her, she had a good daughter, Xie Lisa. Xie Lisa had the same knack for pissing people off. When Xie Ying returned to the house, she lost her temper. The servants in the courtyard were all in a mess, and all of them were trembling with fear.

Seeing that she was unmoved, Madam Xu took a step back: "The old lady is afraid that you will have to work hard on the way and won't tire yourself out. She wants you to rest for a few more days. Since my sister-in-law doesn't want to rest, I can't force you. The next morning, there will be many distinguished guests coming to visit. Have the children be more cautious so as to not offend our noble guests." After she finished speaking, she lifted the handkerchief and pointed at the corner of her mouth. "After all, you are used to being treated in Qingzhou. You don't know the rules of the capital, but you have to learn many things slowly."

Dara looked at her, "Today, Father praised Lisa and Hanbin for their good manners in public. I'm afraid sister-in-law is overthinking it."

She mentioned Old Master from time to time, leaving Madam Xu speechless instead.

Yet, what she said was the truth. No one could refute her even if they wanted to.

She knew her children best, and although Xie Lisa and Xie Yeri were not usually in tune, one was lazy, the other soft, the key moment was still a good one for her. Xie Lisa in particular, who knew the sense of propriety, knew the advance and retreat, on the big matters, was a very smart child. On the contrary, Dara was glad that they had lived in Qingzhou for almost ten years. They were naturally pure and kind, lively and adorable.

After Madam Xu had finished speaking, she did not reap any benefits, but got some embarassment. Her faces were full of displeasure. She stood up and walked out of the room. "There's no need for you to send me off," she said to Dara.

She looked back and saw Dara sitting upright in the rosewood chair, with no intention of getting up to send her off.

She choked and turned around to follow the servant girl.