Friends

by Lizziebennett

Lily Evans had just finished her last year at Hogwarts. She was sitting quietly in her new flat reading, enjoying one last quiet moment before tonight. Lily's best friends, Annabelle and Elizabeth, had planned a going-away party before Lily left for New York.

Lily had been best friends with Elizabeth and Annabelle since their first year at Hogwarts; the instant when they met on the train sealed a lasting friendship. Lily vividly recalled when Annabelle had slipped into Lily's compartment where she had been silently engrossed in a novel, trying to alleviate the anxious sensations she felt whenever she pondered the massive depths of what being a new witch meant. She had been experiencing a normal life with here family when she received her Hogwarts letter. She had been dubious as to whether it was in fact a hoax as she most firmly believed or the possibility that she, Lily Evans, could be a witch.

Annabelle Brandon had long, straight brown hair that glimmered in the light from the compartment window. Her brunette locks went halfway down her back, and bangs swept across her face in an angularly fashion, brushed to the right of her face. She had pale, porcelain skin that contrasted formidably with her dark hair and eyes. Annabelle was clad in a pair of jeans with a pink hooded sweater shrugged on her shoulders. She looked for a minute at Lily, avidly studying her features when she asked in a confident, polite manner, "Do you mind if I sit here? Every other compartment is full."

Lily gazed at Annabelle quizzically for a moment longer before replying, "Oh … of course. Come, sit."

She brushed aside her bag and book and said to the girl, "I'm Lily Evans. I'm new here …a First Year."

Annabelle observed Lily's pale complexion, her bright, flashing green eyes, and her auburn hair. Her hair cascaded down her back and her eyes reflected the light that bounced off the window. Annabelle cordially reciprocated Lily's polite banter, "Nice to meet you. I'm Annabelle Brandon. I happen to be a First Year, too, but I do know about magic, since my family is. My brother, Luke, goes here too. He's a Sixth Year. But I won't be seeing much of him, anyways. He's involved in Quittidch, of course. He's a beater for Griffyndor. But, of course, you wouldn't know that, would you?"

"Um … no."

"Okay. So, basically, here's how Hogwarts works: there's four houses, Griffyndor, the best, Hufflepuffs, well they're okay, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. You want to be in Griffyndor. That's where I want to go. It's where my brother is. I mean, my whole family went there. So anyways –"

She was cut off by a noise at the door. A girl who looked to be eleven stood there, with pale golden hair fell down her back and some strands were strewn about her face elegantly. She was garbed in a pair of jeans and a pale, tan sweater that was belted with a thin belt. She smiled warmly and said, "Annabelle! How are you?"

"Oh my God! Elizabeth, how are you? I'm good! I missed you so much this summer! How was France?" Annabelle exclaimed, a contented smile playing on her face.

"I'm wonderful. It was so fun! I loved France. Anyways, I'm excited to start school. Oh, who's this?" Elizabeth said, looking at Lily appraisingly.

"Oh, this is Lily Evans. She's a First Year, too. She's a Muggleborn, though. We'll have to teach her the basics."

Elizabeth smiled kindly and began, "Well, you'll love it here. It's basically like a normal school, with magic."

And from that moment on, the three girls had become inseparable.

Lily smiled reminscencingly at the memory and she put down her novel. School had been a blast. In fact, she had come to call Hogwarts her home. She had acquired vast amounts of knowledge and become a part of the magical world. She had had so much fun with her friends, studying, going to Hogsmeade on weekends, and growing up there. She hadn't known James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, or Peter Pettigrew very well before fifth year. Of course, she knew who they were. Who didn't?