Hey Teacher! Leave them Kids alone!

by liaskisses

Lily checked her phone for the last time, making sure that the building in front of her was the right one.
Starting at a new job can always be unnerving, but the building before her looked like something straight out of the 19th century, she looked up to the top of the grand castle, seeing the fancy writing, carved into the stone of the school, which read:

Hogwarts, school of Grammar & Arts.

Lily smoothed down her cheap, Primark skirt and H&M blouse, already feeling cheap and out of place. Getting this job was a fresh start for her, finally being able to move from expensive London back to her home country of Scotland.
She'd assumed the school was fancy. (It being a boarding school and all.) However, she wasn't expecting the school to resemble Buckingham fucking palace.

Taking a deep breath and bracing herself, she walked through the grand double-wide doors of the school and into the long, echoey corridor.
Navigating her way to the school's office, she couldn't help but ogle all the magnificent portraits that were lining the halls, each one more vibrant than the last, she smiled in appreciation, art always made her feel at home.

By following the rather unhelpful instructions which were written on clearly outdated signs, it took her an embarrassing fifteen minutes to reach the school's office.
Fresh out of university, Lily was more than prepared to tackle the hardship that was teaching a bunch of snotty teens about English literature. She had hoped that since the school was so posh, she would be rewarded with smart, hard-working pupils
Those dreams were soon crushed as she remembered about rich parents who shipped their spoilt brats off to boarding schools such as this one.

She was welcomed swiftly by an older woman, with greying hair and a shrill Scottish accent that was familiar to her own.
"Lily Evans?" the woman asked, lifting an accusing brow at Lily as she put on her bravest face and nodded, immediately terrified of the woman already.
"Very well, follow me," She said, giving Lily an up and down look, prompting her to subconsciously stand straighter and pull her skirt down lower.

following the woman through more winding corridors, they eventually came to an office. The plague on the door read:
M. McGonagall, Gryffindor head.

When Lily entered the office, she was met with the colours of crimson and gold, along with pictures of students wearing said colours. There was also an intimidating cabinet full of

various trophies, which was covering a wall, automatically making Lily feel inferior to this clearly accomplished woman. The woman gestured to a chair, which Lily immediately sat in. She felt a wave of schoolgirl nostalgia as Mcgonagall brought out Lily's file.

"I understand this is your first teaching Job, Miss Evans? And that you're also fresh out of university?"
Lily nodded and smiled pleasantly, answering the question with all the confidence that she could muster. "During my final year of uni I trained at the local school, but yes this is my first official teaching position" McGonagall nodded slowly in approval as she set down the file.
"I'm Minerva McGonagall, Head of Gryffindor house, I also teach biology."

Lily highly resisted the urge to ask what the hell a Gryffindor was, instead opting for a more polite phrase.
"Gryffindor?"
The woman sighed, like she had already expected Lily to know what Gryffindor is.
"Here at Hogwarts, we separate the students between four houses, Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff." Lily nodded, wrapping her head around the idea. Minerva looked at her through her square glasses and continued,
"I am the head of Gryffindor house, Severus Snape, - who teaches Chemistry - is the head of Slytherin, Filius Flitwick who teaches languages is head of Ravenclaw and our home economics teacher Pomona Sprout is the head of Hufflepuff."