Lovely Plants

by alstroemeriablack on archiveofourown.org

The news about the arrival of the new residents of the apartment spread among the already existing ones like wildfire. It wasn’t too long before it reached Lily Evans and her flatmate Marlene McKinnon. Now, Lily wasn’t too interested in the affairs of who came when and where and why but Marlene definitely was. That was the only reason why Lily listened as Marlene went on about the new residents, mind you. She wasn’t interested that much. Not even slightly. Really.

It’s a family of three – a mother, a father and their only son. He had a couple of friends that popped by then and now. They own a dog with a name Marlene forgot, they’re all quite amicable, and the friends are funny. That was all Lily knew about the Potters as she stood in front of their door ready to ring the bell.

Now Lily wasn’t one of those people that invited themselves over to their neighbours houses as and when they pleased for a cup of tea or a quick chat. If you’ve come across people such as that, my deepest and most sincere regards and well wishes for your kind heart that didn’t do anything rash. If you did something rash now that’s a story I’d like to hear someday. Now back to Lily.

No, Lily wasn’t one of them. Lily hoped she didn’t come across as one of them. She was only a little anxious. Just a little bit. Maybe slightly more. She had lost count of how many times she had considered going back home. But there was no point now for as she had rung the bell and heard its ringing and heard the door open and it did open.

In front of her stood a slightly short, slightly stout woman who had dark black hair with hints of grey peeking in between. She had an inviting smile plastered across her face and seemed genuinely excited upon Lily’s arrival. The thought of that seemed to calm Lily’s nerves and she didn’t feel too anxious about meeting these new people. The kind woman gestured her into the flat and Lily obliged.

The apartment was an exact replica of hers, except it looked newer and much more elegant. Lily’s flat was an aesthetically pleasing mess of flowers, books and clothes. This place was exactly like those houses on the interior design portfolios she had tossed aside on grounds of expense.

“It won’t be too long before you begin resenting this place,” said the woman. “I say you take a good look now.”

“Sorry Ma’am,” said Lily quite highly embarrassed now. All the anxiety that left seemed to surge through her body once more. “I’m here only to-”

“Ah no, dear,” said the woman moving to capture Lily’s hands in hers. “I mean to say that it won’t be too long before my son and his friends make a complete mess out of this home. I’m going to miss how pretty it looks now.”

“Oh,” said Lily calming down a little bit. The woman gave an amiable laugh and Lily followed.

“I’ll get you some sweets,” she announced. “Come on in.”

“No, Ma’am,” Lily began.

“Yes, Euphemia,” said Lily.

“What is it that brings you here?” Euphemia asked as she emptied the contents of a sweet box onto a silver plate. Lily tried to protest over the amount of sweets that had been laid out on the plate but decided against it. “Not that you are not welcome dear. I believe I still don’t know your name?”

“Lily,” she said. “Lily Evans. Thank you for having me. It isn’t too much but it’s just that I live downstairs and I grow plants. One of my plants, a creeper, found its way through my grills and reached the telephone wires. From my balcony it now reaches yours. If you don’t mind, I’d be grateful if you could just untwine the tendrils and drop it down. I’ll make sure my plants don’t trouble you again.”