When Mumma Was NO

by tinkerbelldetention101 on  archiveofourown.org

"It's alright Lily, really. Go back to bed. I've got Harry," James Potter assured his wife with a smile as he ushered back to bed.

"Are you sure, dear? It's just a little head cold, honestly. I'll be fi-fi-fi-ACHOO!" Lily Potter had the grace to blush as her husband laughed.

"I'm sure, love. Now off to bed with you, and don't come back down until you're right as rain." James made a shooing motion as he opened their bedroom door. Lily shook her aching head at him, but gratefully slipped back into their bed and snuggled beneath the covers all the same.

"When Harry gets up from his nap, make sure he eats his lunch. Don't feed him sweets again, James - you know how he gets. And don't let him play with your wand. Took a week to get the poor cat to come out of hiding after his last misha-a-a-ACHOO!" Lily sneezed again and shook her head. This blasted cold...

"I know, love. I promise, your precious darling will still have all body parts attached when you wake up. And Harry should be just fine, too," James winked at her as he backed out of the door. Lily rolled her eyes and flung a pillow in his direction, just missing him as the door closed behind him.

James made his way back downstairs, and had made it just to the last step when he heard the familiar sound of his son's giggles from the nursery at the top of the same stairs. With a sigh (so much for "James Time") and a small shake of his head, he turned and headed back up the stairs.

"Good morning, little man," James whispered, bending to pick his pajama clad son up from the crib. A stream of incromprehensible babbly was the nine month old's only response. "Oh really, bud? Tell me more."

Harry continue his babbling as his beloved "Dada" carried him to the changing area for a clean up and a change of clothes. After all, one can only stay in their nightclothes for so long.

And Lily might honestly murder James if he left Harry in pajamas all day.

"What say we get you fed, Harry?" James murmured, staring into his little boy's green eyes. As always, the mention of food seemed to capture the child's attention and the babbling increased, punctuated with little claps of the tot's hands. "Alright, alright. Let's just get to the kitchen, yeah? And don't be too noisy - Mummy isn't feeling well. Let's let her sleep."

"Mama?" the tot replied, eyes darting around.

"Mummy isn't feeling well, Harry." James regretted mentioning Lily almost immediately. Though he knew Harry loved him, Harry was nothing if not a mummy's boy. A single mention of his mother when she wasn't in sight was often enough to incite the small boy to tears until Mummy came running. And sure enough...

When no sign of his red headed mother made itself known, Harry's face crumpled. James watched his son take a deep breath, his little face turning red, and then..."MUMMA! MUMMA! MUMMA!"

"Shh!" James whispered, picking Harry up and dashing out of the room and down the stairs. "Hush, Harry. Mummy is sleeping. She'll be down when she's feeling better, alright?"

Harry, for once, seemed to grasp what James was saying. Although the tears didn't abate, he ceased his shrieks, settling for snuggling into his father's shoulder and sniffling instead, a single whimpered "Mumma" escaping as he did. James patted his son's back gently as he made his way into the kitchen.

Settling Harry into his high chair, James moved from cupboard to cupboard, searching for something Lily wouldn't AK him for feeding their son at lunchtime.

Well, the first cupboard contained nothing but catfood. James may only be nine months into this parenting thing, but he was pretty sure he shouldn't feed his son cat food.