Your Blood is No Purer

by storyweaver24

'A Black in Ravenclaw,' James teased, cocking his head to the side. 'I bet the family hated that.'

'Not as much as they hated a Black in Gryffindor,' she replied smoothly, flipping her hair over her shoulder. 'Poor Sirius.'

'He was run out of the house.'

'Oh, that had nothing to do with Slytherin loyalty. Well, not really.' She surveyed him and he could feel her gaze like electricity on his skin. There was something about this girl.

'I know.' James grinned. 'He's staying at my home.'

'So that's where he ran off to after he tucked his tail and scampered away,' she said and he felt a flash of unease. Did she possibly know about—

'I'd rather you not talk about my best mate like that.'

'He's my older brother. Don't you have siblings?'

'No.'

'Then you wouldn't understand the bond between—'

'Sirius is my brother, too. I tease him all the time but don't call him a coward for leaving.'

'You really think of him as a brother?'

He looked down at his hands and fiddled with his quill. 'Closer than.'

'That makes things a little awkward.'

'What?'

'Don't bother; it's not important. It was a pleasure doing Potions with you, Potter.'

'Ta, Black.'

Sirius was waiting for him at the classroom door with a frown on his face. 'Was that my sister you were talking to?'

'Yeah.'

'Why?'

'She was my Potions partner. I promise, that's it,' James assured but Sirius' expression did not change. They met up with the other Marauders and made their way to the Common Room.

'Just stay away from her, James,' Sirius said quietly, when they were at the entrance. 'Lily is bad news.'

Naturally, they were partners for any conceivable assignment given from that point onwards. Not of his own doing, he might add, but it just…happened. It was crazy how well they worked together and even crazier to realize that they had been enemies only six months earlier.

'Lily,' he asked the redhead one afternoon, while they were in the library. She didn't look up from the book she was reading, leaning over it intently. 'Would you say we're friends?'

That got her attention. She raised her head and tilted her head to the side. 'What do you think?'

'Yes.' That was all. A simple yes and it made his insides glow. How strange.

They spent more and more time together, their meetings filled with Head Duties and tutoring and projects. He was with her more than anyone else, except for perhaps Remus and Peter and Sirius, to the disapproval of the latter.

It was on a patrol sometime in November. They were sweeping the halls, looking for miscreants and mischievous students. It was quiet and near midnight. Only a few scattered people walked around, most were tucked safely away in their beds.

The peace brought a certain hush upon the two, as peace is oft to do. James pulled out a pack of chocolate and handed her a piece.

'My mum sent it,' he offered as explanation.

'Is she nice?' Lily asked around a mouthful of chocolate. 'Your mum, I mean.'

'She's wonderful. Nicest person you could meet. She's a nurse down at the hospital and you'd never meet anyone with a bigger heart.'