making spirits bright

by twilightstargazer on archiveofourown.org

“Did you know that we’ve apparently broken up?”

James barely looks up from where he’s sat on the floor, leaning against her legs as he goes head on against Sirius and they in a FIFA match. She finds it absolutely hysterical that he’s losing so badly when he himself is a world class football player.

“Charming,” he says distractedly, “Is that the Sun again?”

Lily flicks his ear. “No, the Sun said we eloped in Paris a few months ago and we’re awaiting the arrival of our firstborn with bated breath. Honestly James, keep up.”

“My bad,” he says dryly, “By the way, we’re naming our first child Elvendork.”

“I thought we agreed on Bathsheba?”

“Yeah, but Elvendork is unisex.”

“Good point.”

He throws down his controller in a huff when the game ends with him losing spectacularly. Remus comes in first place, and he snickers when he sees his ridiculous pout. Meanwhile Lily just pets him, accustomed to her boyfriend, the drama queen.

It’s only later, when he’s spread out on the couch, his head on her lap while the rest of them switch over to another game, does he ask, “Sorry, who was saying that we broke up?”

Lily glances down at him, still scrolling through her phone. “Oh, the Mirror. Marlene likes to tweet me articles that we’re mentioned in. Apparently the fact that I didn’t go to the last fundraiser with you but went out for milk on Saturday without makeup means that our relationship is on the rocks. ”

“How dare you not wear makeup while doing menial everyday things. They’re right, this is the beginning of a downward spiral, Evans.”

He’s still in her lap, glasses askew and hair a complete mess, and she leans down to swipe a quick peck on the lips.

“Yeah, I’m a real embarrassment, you should break up with me.”

Lily deleted tinder about two months after she started dating James.

Honestly, she would have done so before, but quite frankly, she forgot about it, just sitting there in the middle of all her apps.

“It’s because you want to get a side piece,” James says, voice gruff from sleep. He’s wrapped around her, blankets pooling at his hips when he sits up, all tan skin and broad shoulders and sleep mussed hair. He’s squinting in the early morning sunshine and there are pillow creases on his cheek with the faint shadow of stubble. It’s adorable.

“Oh yeah, that’s totally why,” she says, already clicking to uninstall the app. “You’re definitely not hot enough me. I need a trophy boyfriend.”

She pats his chest- or, well, she caresses his abs. What? She’s his girlfriend. She has these privileges goddammit.

“Sorry to disappoint,” he shrugs before hauling her against him and pressing slow, sleepy kisses down the side of her neck.

They only leave the bed when Lily’s stomach rumbles obnoxiously loud, and they order pizza for lunch.

If she’s being honest with herself, she didn’t see herself dating James for anything longer than maybe a month. Especially after that disastrous first date.

(On paper it was- fine. Fancy restaurant and nice food and James picked up the whole bill because the place was definitely out of her budget. It was nice, but it didn’t really feel like them.)