The Little Things

by gryffindormischief and PetalsToFish on archiveofourown.org

Lily Evans loved James Potter for the little things.

She loved the way his hair fell into his eyes whenever he laughed beside her. She liked when he looked over at her when he thought she wasn't paying attention. She got goosebumps when he absentmindedly ran his fingers along her spine. The smell of his cooking always brought a smile to her face and she never grew bored because he loved adventure like she did.

She remained caught up in daydreams and fantasy as she walked behind an old barn, hardly paying attention to her surroundings. She had been excited to go riding until she woke up and realized her boyfriend wouldn't be joining her. She liked when James came to watch her ride, if only because he always had a kiss or two reserved for her on the rails.

Her phone buzzed and she glanced at it.

JP: sorry I couldn't come b/c of football practice, I love you

It was so annoying that all James had to do was send her one little text and she was beaming like a kid on Christmas. He made her whole sky light up when he told her that he loved her. She was so caught up in the absurdity of it all that she looked like an idiot as she texted him back, using her hand to block out the sun glare on her screen.

LE: trying out a new saddle today!

JP: cool. What do u want for dinner?

LE: you?

JP: unsurprising answer

LE: I'm so tired after staying up to watch that movie with you last night let's just hope I stay on the horse

JP: I don't remember watching a movie?

LE: I wonder why?

JP: It had nothing to do with the shirt you were conveniently not wearing

LE: someone conveniently took it off

JP: had a good ride

JP: oops.

JP: have* a good ride

LE: smooth save, babe

JP: save a horse, ride a cowboy

She blew her fringe from her face while simultaneously rolling her eyes at his stupid attempt at a joke. Falling in love with her best friend was both her greatest triumph and greatest pain. He was equal parts handsome idiot and caring boyfriend. It seemed impossible for someone to make her laugh that much, yet here she was.

LE: have a good practice; ttyl

JP: don't pretend you didn't laugh at that

LE: putting my phone away now, bye

She snorted and stuffed her phone into her pocket just as her horse, Soleil, bumped her nose into Lily's chest. Lily cooed and wrapped her arms around Soleil's big head, kissing every inch happily. Lily leased Soleil from Mary, her riding instructor, since she couldn't afford her own. For all intents and purposes though, Soleil was as much a part of Lily's life as James was.

She was a good horse, especially cuddly whenever Lily went to halter her. Soleil used Lily's arms as an anchor for her head, refusing to move even as Lily assaulted her blazed forehead with kisses. The horse was older, retired from showing but a worker to her very core. She was a good match for Lily who was just as easy-going but determined. Mary often said they were a match made in heaven.

Lily haltered Soleil and brought the tall cross paint to the crossties inside the barn. Soleil remained half asleep, her lower lip jutting out as Lily got the curry to work. It was clear Soleil had spent the morning in turn out because her hindquarters were caked in dried dirt. As Lily fell into a rhythmic combing pattern she smiled as she once again thought of her boyfriend, James.