Happy Birthday

by MyChemicalPotter

The Marauders—Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs—were known for quite a lot of things.

They were known for the amount of brilliant pranks they had played—and the amount of detentions they received because of them. They were known for their good looks and known for their mischievous reputation.

But most of all, they were known for the legendary parties they started.

Their parties, you see, weren't the typical type.

They were incredibly special.

There were only invited guests allowed—of course, everyone in Gryffindor was invited, select few were invited from the other houses; Slytherins were hardly ever invited though—you see, Andromeda Black, a close relative of Sirius Black was invited; she was possibly the only Slytherin they could tolerate, much less invite to parties. There was a rule that anyone not willing to get drunk was to drink squash only—unless you get unlucky and take a sip of alcohol-tainted squash messed with a drunken party-goer. That, unfortunately, had happened quite a lot, so as time wore on, James Potter had sweetly suggested that this rule should just 'bugger off and get the hell on with it.' Not even Remus knew what he really meant but the rule was kept—simply for the purpose of not bothering strict, James Potter-Hating, Prefect; Lily Evans.

Other than that, their parties had no rules.

They were pretty legendary parties.

It is on the day of March the 27th 1976 that our story starts.

You see, March 27th was James Potter's birthday and the Marauders were planning a party—were they ever not?

As Tradition goes, every party held by the Marauders was to be in the Gryffindor Common Room; starting an hour after dinner and ending 'whenever the hell it felt like ending' (Sirius Black always added helpfully on every invitation).

Invitations weren't given out to the Gryffindor's; it was just loudly expressed by the Marauders first thing in the morning to sleep deprived Gryffindors or there was a large notice pinned up on the Gryffindor notice board—precisely a week before the party. However, other friends from different houses such as Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw were given invitations from whoever managed to get them around; it always ended up being Peter for reasons they could not fathom.

So here it was; the morning of March 27th when James Potter woke up.

'Happy Birthday!'

James Potter opened one bleary eye, smiled feebly and turned over, ignoring the grinning, too-happy-for-the-morning face of Sirius Black.

He let his mind drift back, to feel the numb sleepiness in his eyes again—to see that dream again. It was such a good dream.

Perfect, almost like it was completely created—simply for James to see, to remember forever. Lily Evans was in it, and she was happy with him. She was smiling, laughing and talking to him—like someone she would like. It was bliss. His heart had soared in the dream. There really were no words to describe the perfect dream that had grazed his unconscious mind, simply there to—

THWACK.

'What the…?' James Potter's tired eyes flew open as his head was attacked by a pillow—Sirius' pillow, to be exact.

Sirius looked genuinely upset. 'I said "Happy Birthday," mate! You know, you're sort of supposed to go "Aw, Gee, thanks, mate! You're the best! I hope that by the end of the day a million lovely vaginas find their way to your crotch for you truly are a brilliant friend!"'