Final Careers Advice

by SiriuslyGeorgia

The war against He Who Must Not Be Named - or against the muggleborns, whichever side you were on - had been raging for years, the wizarding community crumbling, taking the non-magical world slowly declining along with it.

It wasn't until January of her seventh year at Hogwarts that Lily Evans finally realised the implications this had for her.

Walking into her head of house's office for her final careers advice meeting at Hogwarts didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but she would remember it well.

"So, Miss Evans," began Professor McGonagall with a glance at the parchment in front of her. "Your high grades in most subjects - though I assume Divination will not be your future career - should make it relatively simple for you to acquire the job you desire. Which would be…?"

"A Healer, Professor." Lily supplied confidently.

Hesitating, McGonagall gave a tight lipped smile. "Brilliant. You'd make a fine Healer, Evans. Your position as Head Girl should make you a prime candidate."

Lily frowned. "Pardon me, Professor, but you keep saying 'should'. Will I not be a prime candidate?"

"Lily," McGonagall sighed. Lily braced herself for what was coming next. Whenever this particular Professor used first names, it was bad news. "With the, ahem, current state of the Wizarding World, you may find it… difficult to find yourself a job."

Feeling deflated, Lily crumpled back in her chair.

McGonagall waited for Lily to speak, but when it was clear the head girl was going to remain silent, she continued. "However, this war must end soon, and I am certain we will be victorious. Until then, I'm afraid you may find yourself lacking the employment you deserve."

Throughout McGonagall's words, Lily found herself gaining resolve, so when the Professor finished, Lily began her tirade. "I've worked harder than anyone. I'm top of the year and Head Girl for good reason." As if to prove her point, Lily stood up, fingering her Head Girl badge as she did so. If Professor McGonagall thought this inappropriate or intimidating, she didn't show it. "All my time at this school has been spent slaving over essays and exams, and you're telling me - the whole world is telling me that I'm not worthy of a job because my parents happen to be muggles?!"

Lily looked expectantly at her wise head of house with tear filled eyes, expecting her to say 'Of course not, Lily, you can be whatever you want to be!' This was reality, not a dream world, so that didn't happen.

Instead McGonagall sighed, again, and remained silent as she pushed her tray of biscuits closer to Lily, who eyed them woefully.

My whole future is crumbling around me, thought Lily, and she's offering me biscuits.

Now feeling embarrassed as well as defeated, Lily placed a hand on the back of her chair, but didn't sit. "I'm sorry, Professor, it just - I just -"

McGonagall cut off Lily's half apologies. "I understand, Evans, but surely you've realised this before?"

The careful question was enough to send Lily over a different edge. As the first tear leaked from her eye, she bolted from the office, pausing only to wrench the door open.

Lessons were ongoing - Lily had gotten out of Charms to attend the meeting - so running to her friends was out of the question. She did the second best thing and ran into the first empty classroom.

Still choking back sobs, Lily saw that she was in a Transfiguration room, still stocked with pillows from third years who had been attempting to turn pillows into bricks. (Thankfully, none of them were successful, leaving no bricks for Lily to throw in frustration.)