One Week New

by writermegs17 on archiveofourown.org

It’s been a week since Harry James Potter was born, and his parents are stil absolutely over the moon. Lily slips seamlessly into motherhood and James is in utter disbelief seeing this incredible bond between his little family begin to blossom. He tries to do whatever he can to be the most active dad to Harry and never let Lily get in over her head with mothering, his own mother taught him much better than that. So, when  he tiptoes into the nursery to find Lily sitting in the rocking chair, trying to coax an extremely fussy Harry into nursing, he knows exactly what to do.

“Lily, you should let me take him for a few minutes, you’re exhausted.” James offers.

“He needs to eat first, I’m trying to keep him on a schedule.” Lily says frantically

“Alright then, let me take him around the house once, see if It calms him down, then you’ll hardly be off schedule.”

Lily smiles, James always knows how to get her out of her own head and take a beat. “Okay. I suppose it won’t hurt to try.

James simply smiles, takes Harry into his arms and starts rocking him. “What have you got to be so fussy about? Huh? What have you got to be so fussy about?” He coos.

Thankfully, James is right, and after their trip around the house Harry’s returned to his usual easy going temperament.

“James Potter, the family baby whisperer. You absolute saint.” Lily says.

“I wouldn’t say that. Just holding up my end of the bargain.”

“You definitely are, now, let’s see if Harry will actually eat.” Lily says, cradling her son against  her breast waiting for him to latch, and he does seconds later.

“That’s so good, oh, you’re such a big boy, yes you are.” Lily praises softly.

“I  can’t believe he’s been around for a whole week already.” James muses.

“ I know, it’s so strange sometimes I can’t even seem to remember what our lives were like before he was born.”

“It’s strange, we are less than half the age my parents were when they had me, I’d never imagined doing this at twenty. it’s really wild.”

“Definitely, but I wouldn’t trade our little family for anything.”

“Me either. I’m the luckiest man alive.” James says, kissing Lily’s forehead.

“I love Harry, more than anything in the world, but sometimes I wonder if we can do this as well as our parents. We’re practically kids ourselves.”

“If there's anything I learned from my incredible parents, is that the most important thing a child needs is love, And I’m fairly certain we’ve got an abundance of that.”

“We do. My goodness we do, every single time I look at his perfect little face, the only thing I want to do is tell him how much I love him.”

“See, we’ll figure it out. We always do. Plus, we know Harry’s going to be a spitfire, seeing that he’s ours, we’ll need our youth to chase him around.”

“Yeah,  it’s kind of hard to picture that, right now he’s an angel.”

“He’s half Marauder Lils, that won’t last forever.”

Lily smiles, stroking Harry’s rosy cheek, and ruffling her husband’s messy hair. “No,” she says. “Nothing does, but I intend to enjoy every magical little moment.”

XXX

A few hours later, James gets a patronus message from Sirius that he and Remus have finally finished their week-long order mission and are coming by to meet Harry for the first time.