A Happy Accident

by Chie (Chierafied) on archiveofourown.org

The talk show host flashed him a big smile and leaned forward in his chair. “You, Mr Potter, are showbiz royalty, aren’t you?”

The corner of James’ lip curled up and he relaxed in his armchair, crossing his feet at the ankles. “Well, I wouldn’t say that. We can’t choose our families but I’ve been very lucky in mine. They’ve never been anything but supportive.”

“The Potter name of course is well-known due to Potter Productions, founded by your grandfather and currently spearheaded by your father,” the host explained for the audience’s benefit.

“That’s true,” James agreed with a wry smile.

“And your mother has had an illustrious career and is a household name to everyone in the UK and beyond! A model, an actress… and in recent years she’s even ventured into screenwriting.”

This time the grin came bright and easy, lighting James’ hazel eyes behind his glasses. “My mum has more talent in her little finger than I possess in my entire body. But I hope she’s managed to pass some spark of that down to me.”

“I’d say that’s more than a spark that you’ve inherited, Mr Potter. Your own career has been very successful, especially for one so young.”

“Thank you so much. I’ve been very lucky.”

“I’m sure it hasn’t all been just luck! You’ve been a superhero and a soldier. You’ve been a spy and the lord of a manor. You’ve even portrayed the anti-hero with grey morals in your latest film.” The host punctuated his speech with wide gestures, giving his words emphasis, keeping the audience engaged.

“Yes, I’ve had very varied roles in my career, which has been a lot of fun,” James replied truthfully.

“And now you might be conquering new territory. You’re being considered for the male lead in a rom-com!”

“I am, yes. It’s a role I’m super excited about and really hope to get.”

“Really?” The host’s eyebrow quirked up. “Even after your action roles in the past?”

Being a great actor, James managed not to scowl at the question. “Especially after the action roles. Love In The Spotlight is a brilliant novel and I’d be very grateful for the opportunity to bring its movie adaptation to life. And the fact that the male lead is an actor only makes it more interesting to me.”

“You’ve actually read the original novel?” There was a note of surprise in the host’s voice, which James couldn’t help but resent a little.

“Of course I have,” he replied, both emphatic and matter-of-fact. “Reading is a great way to pass the time and I really enjoy romance novels. Given the current state our world is in, I think we all could do with a little more happily ever afters.”

“That is very true. And Love In The Spotlight ’s movie adaptation has been much anticipated. The book has taken the whole world by storm, cementing Lily Evans’ spot as UK’s romance queen. Now, Mr Potter…” The host lowered his voice into a conspiratorial register.  “There’s been a rumour going around that your mother might actually be helping Miss Evans adapt the novel into a movie script.”

James shook his head. “I can’t confirm or deny anything as it’s all still very much in the works… But Mum would be delighted to take part. She’s a long-time fan of Miss Evans’ writing. I actually discovered her books thanks to Mum.”

“And you, Mr Potter? Are you a fan of Lily Evans?”

“I’m utterly in love with Lily Evans.” Oh no. That hadn’t come out right. James blushed. “Er, her work, I mean. She is a fantastic writer.”