The Missing Piece

by iris2489

I wasn't supposed to go outside tonight. I had already gotten into trouble three times for being on the grounds after curfew, but I managed to talk my way out of it every time. I mean, I am Lily Evans; Head Girl, "goody-goody," perfect student, you can figure out the rest. But no matter how many times I'd get yelled at, no matter how many detentions I'd receive, hell, no matter if I lost my badge, nothing and I mean nothing, could keep my away from a thunderstorm.

I should start by saying that I am a hopeless romantic. Most people wouldn't believe you if you told them that, but it's true. To the majority of people who know me, I am just a brainy, sometimes stuck-up, boring Head Girl. But in reality, that's merely a façade, a defense mechanism if you will. I grew up on fairy tales and prince charmings. So as a way for me to not be disappointed with the harsh realities of life and love, I stayed away from love on the outside. But truthfully, I'm as soft as a pillow. I mean, every time I watch Casablanca I burst into tears when Rick lets Ilsa go and tells her "We'll always have Paris." Why, oh why can't I have a man like Rick or any of the other incredibly romantic men you read about? Like Mr. Darcy, or Mr. Rochester, hell, I'd go for the beast before he turns back into the prince from Beauty and the Beast. I just want to be swept off my feet, I guess. Something that is apparently an impossible request.

I am seventeen years old and have never had a real kiss. Now others, like my best friend, Bella, would say that I'm lying and merely setting my standards too high. I mean, sure I've had my fair share of boyfriends in the past and I've gotten to second base with a few of them, but no kiss has been real. Not one has meant something. I've never felt that spark, that jolt, which quickens one's heart and makes you all dizzy and makes your legs feel like jelly, and creates hordes of butterflies in your stomach. Terribly clichéd, I know, but like I said, I'm utterly hopeless. According to Bella, I haven't given a guy the chance to create all of those feelings because I dump them before they have the opportunity to. But I'll know when it's right. You're supposed to fit in the other person's arms. It's supposed to be the last piece in the puzzle of your life. I'm just waiting to fit somewhere.

Now back to my rebelliousness. Before anyone jumps down my throat, it is true, I am not lying. I, Lily Evans, broke a school rule. And a big one at that. Being on the school grounds after curfew is a very serious offense at Hogwarts. It's much too dangerous for the students with all the creatures in the Forbidden Forrest that may decide to go for a moonlight stroll. But I couldn't help it. Thunderstorms have always been my weakness. And this particular one was absolutely perfect. The rain was coming down in sheets of cool water; the perfect way to be refreshed. The thunder was rumbling from all sides of the school so the sound completely surrounded me. The lightning came in quick blinks that were long enough to illuminate the castle but short enough to wonder if it really happened every time it ended. So really, could you blame me? I needed to get out there and be part of the most magical thing happening at the castle at the time.

It all started at dinner. I was sitting with Bella, my other friends Alice Longbottom (You may have heard of her? She eloped with her long time boyfriend, Frank, who graduated last year over summer break. Now she's a girl who got the fairy tale), Theresa McKay, Nicole Hayden, Mundungus Fletcher, Tom Patil, and last but certainly not least, the Marauders. The Marauders are the pranksters and heartbreakers at our school. They are the "every girl wants them, every guy wants to be them" kind of people. In all fairness, three out of four of them are very good looking. Poor Peter Pettigrew is the sort of oddball out of the group measuring at 5'3 and weighing about 175 pounds. The poor, poor boy. But the others always treat him the same and it is the others that everyone is interested in.

Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and James Potter are the most sought after people at school. They literally have fan clubs follow them around. Sirius is your average heartthrob. He is about 6'1 with soft, long black hair that makes him look tres chic. He has a very defined face and, um, well, muscles… I mean, those things should be illegal. He could poke someone's eye out. HE also has the whole bad boy complex going for him, too. He has a detention practically every night. Sirius just has an issue with rules I guess. Not only rules at school but also rules with women. I think he's gone out with every girl fourth year and above. Well, every girl except me, Bella, and Alice. We vowed in first year to never date a Marauder, something said Marauders were not pleased about. The real thing that reels every girl into Sirius, however, are his storm-gray eyes. Okay, I admit it. I have been caught in those babies a few times, but c'mon! Like I said, I'm obsessed with thunderstorms so obviously I'm going to be a little attracted to his drop-dead gorgeous, deep, hit your soul, so gray you could get lost… okay. Sorry. I'm better now.