This Is Your Captain Speaking

by PetalsToFish on archiveofourown.org

"This is your captain speaking..."

The voice came over the plane's speaker and pierced through Lily Evans' headphones as she listened to The Hunger Games on audiobook. Lily pulled a headphone from her ear and listened closely as the pilot told her and the fifty other passengers on the airline the bad news. They'd been circling New York for a half an hour, waiting for permission to land. A freak storm had left all incoming traffic blind to the runway. The air coming from the vents above Lily was cold and dry. She itched her nose as she leaned over the aisle to look around. The other passengers were quiet listening to the Captain speak.

"Unfortunately it seems the snowstorm is forecasted to stay over New York until the afternoon tomorrow." The chorus of moans could probably be heard all the way to the front cabin because there was a slightly awkward chuckle before the pilot continued. "Ladies and gentleman, if I could magic away the snow, I would," he sounded exasperated and Lily smirked into her hand as the overweight man next to her grumbled about unprofessionalism, "But unfortunately, like Elsa, we are all going to have to let it go.”

There were a few weak chuckles, but the captain hadn’t managed to make friends with his passengers. Lily thought that if the captain really was worried about making friends, he’d have landed the plane already. The pilot’s voice remained optimistic as it echoed through the cabin.

“We are all going to have a layover in New York until tomorrow afternoon. I'll be back momentarily with an update on our landing time."

Lily unbuckled her seat belt and stood up, placing her ear bud back into her ear to continue listening to her audiobook. Lily's heels rocked a bit in the aisle as she walked towards the front of the plane where a stewardess was all talking with her coworkers around a coffee pot. The stewardess with curly brown hair and sweetheart blue eyes looked up when she noticed Lily approaching down the aisle. The woman straightened her blue ascot before waving hello to Lily. Her name tag said that she was called Mary, and she looked about Lily's age.

"Hullo."

Lily read Mary's lips before taking both ear buds out and smiling at the brunette. There was a ding from behind the girls and the other two stewardess' exchanged an annoyed glance with Mary.

"Row 28 again," an older woman with grey hair rolled her eyes, "if he asks for another champagne I'm going to—"

"Let's go see what he wants," the last stewardess said, pulling the old woman with her, "Mary can mend her hand."

"How can I help you?" the one called Mary asked Lily while her co-workers went to deal with a passenger, “are you looking for the loo?”

"Hi," Lily put her hands on her hips and tilted her head, "I was hoping, woah, is your hand okay?"

Lily noticed the brunette was holding her right hand with her left. It was wrapped in a soaking wet towel that looked like it did nothing to help. Mary was wincing, which meant her hand must've been hurting something awful. Mary leaned against the counter that held a pot of steaming coffee.

"When we hit that last batch of bumps,” Mary explained, “I burned my hand on the coffee maker."

"Oh no," Lily cried as she placed her iPod on the counter next to the coffee pot, “is it bad?"

"I'm fine," Mary smiled kindly, "thanks though, uh…"

"Lily," Lily smiled and held out her hand.

Mary shook Lily's hand with her unburned left hand. "Pleasure Lily, is there something you needed?"