Happiness Pending

by LotrNaustenfan

The sky was fading to a black midnight. There were night clouds in the sky that colored the almost blackness in purple radiance. But they clouded the stars making it even darker. There was nothing to light the way in the sky, but magic could spark the way.

One lone creature of the night walked the streets tonight. A spark alit the end of his wand. He was garbed in a long traveling cloak with the hood up. Whoever he was he was sure to be masked. He traveled this road without even looking up, like he had traveled it every day of his life. The houses lined his path, but he wasn't looking. He was busy staring at the ground and occasionally at the thing in his hand. It was a pendant on a long chain. He fingered it with delicacy like it was the most prized possession of the world.

He smiled for one solitary moment and then he stopped. He stopped walking, smiling, everything. He was standing in front of a large house on a big hill. It was dark now, but you could tell it was radiant. He looked up to see one light still on in the farthest bedroom. He smiled again. He was home.

Lily Potter was sitting in an old wicker chair with blood shot eyes. Her eyes were locked on the open window. The moon was clouded tonight and the clouds were filled with knowing and dread. They looked on her with purpose this night. Her mind, however, was elsewhere.

She wasn't up so late for no reason. She had been listening to her son cry for hours and nothing seemed to calm the new arrival. He was only a couple weeks old, but his wailing, Lily thought, would testify against his age. It seemed that the younger they were the more troublesome. She would have thought having children was a complete mistake if not for those beautiful green eyes and black hair. He really was her child, and her husband's child. So much of both of them was found in every feature of his face. Everyone said he looked just like James, but Lily saw a lot of her in him as well. The delicate nose, the soft lips—those were hers.

She had almost forgotten that her son was screaming as she looked at his baby features. She had almost forgotten. Then, she looked down into his sparkling eyes that were glistening with fresh tears, and started to give up hope of ever getting back to bed. This was day three of no sleep, but that wasn't entirely her son's fault. She also had problems sleeping because of the recent raids. Sometimes James went on the raids late at night, leaving her with her little one, but other nights she was the one gallivanting off.

Her thoughts were momentarily stopped, however, when her son gave a loud burp and then stopped crying. She stared in shock that something that simple could make the little one stop screaming.

Now that he was calm, she stood up from her wicker chair and went to place him in his bassinet. He didn't seem very happy about it and reached up to grab her finger. She was very touched, but very sleepy and she didn't want to make him cry again.

"Fine, baby Harry, if you want your mama to stay with you until you fall asleep I better come up with a good story." She thought about it as she gave her son her finger, which he immediately thrust into his mouth. There was only one story Lily knew and it was a silly muggle story about a Cinder girl and her wicked stepmother. Deciding that wasn't the right story for a newly born little boy, she thought harder. She concluded that the only story worth telling was a true story.

"Harry, I'm going to tell you about how I fell in love with your father. It's a long story, and it's not too pretty, but its true, and there is nothing better than honesty. At least that's what your papa says to me all the time."

Harry giggled, but Lily was already in La La Land thinking and dreaming of her Prince Charming who didn't start out so charming, as she remembered.

"Now, your daddy was the cutest and most sought after boy at Hogwarts that year. Everyone knew his name, and everyone knew he was bound to rock that school on its heels. But, he didn't expect what happened next." She smiled in memory and Harry sucked her first finger. "Do you know what happened, Harry? He met me."