Quarantine

by gryffindormischief and PetalsToFish on archiveof9urown.org

"Get me out of this house," Lily Potter dramatically threw her head back against the pillows of the sofa, "Woolworths, a jail cell, please, I'll go anywhere!"

James Potter, her husband and local police officer, just shook his head at her as he pulled off his boots. It had been a long day at the office and as such, he only wanted to cuddle up next to his wife and watch a movie. Thanks to COVID-19, his city was under mandatory quarantine and James had spent most of his day pulling over idiots trying to get the virus or at least give it to as many people as humanly possible. Apparently, tonight, his wife was one of those idiots.

Lily begged again, "I've been trapped in this house for a week and a half...I have not left...not once...except to go get more food but I can't even count that because they make you stand six feet away from everyone! Even the cashiers! I'm a social butterfly, James, I need at least three hours of social interaction a day or I'll start withering away. I've started talking to myself."

James snorted and sent his wife a look over his thick frames, "that's not how this works, social butterfly, we're meant to be social distancing - what the hell am I by the way? Besides, you always talk to yourself."

"Put yourself on house arrest - you may be here at night but all day I'm languishing on bloody furlough." she said, crossing her arms, "Stay home so I don't have to suffer alone anymore."

"I'm essential, Lily."

She let out a garbled moan, that sounded not remotely human, and slid down on the sofa until her arse was hitting the edge. James chuckled and placed his badge down on the side table carelessly, watching his wife have a mental breakdown. The television was paused, but he saw she was watching Ella Enchanted for the third time and James considered that she had, indeed, been inside too long because she didn't even like that movie since she claimed it ruined the book.

There was a half empty bottle of wine on the table in front of her and it looked warm, as if she hadn't gotten around to finishing it. That was alarming within itself. Lily Potter was a notorious wine drinker, especially if she had nothing better to do with her time.

Lily spoke with her hands over her face, the sound becoming muffled, "it's past curfew and if I run out there, then you have to arrest me. I've lost the will to drink, James."

"That's not how this works Lily." James snorted, "you'd still be stuck...only this time in a jail cell. No telly, no wine."

"At least I'd get three seconds of freedom." she pretended to reach for the window, "three seconds of clean air."

"It's the same air in our backyard, go stand out there for three seconds. Also it's not quite clean...considering the virus."

"James," she gave a feeble sob, "I'm so bored that I'm thinking of calling my sister to talk, talk James!"

James rolled his eyes, knowing she wouldn't ever willingly call her brat of a sister, "dramatic, much?"

She shot the bird irritably and James let out a bark of a laugh.

She pleaded, "take me to work with you tomorrow!"

"The only way you're able to go to work is if I arrest you."

Lily held out her wrists, "cuff me Potter!"

James leaned back, waggling his eyebrows at her, "to the bed?"

"Kinky bastard." Lily frowned deeply, "why do we even have a curfew?"

"Because that's what the capitol decided." James mouthed back, "And you're kinky too, Miss 'Pull-My-Hair and leave your Han Solo costume on'."