Making Breakfast

by SnowyPicture

"So Harry, what's new with you this morning, son?" James paused. "No, I don't think this whole saying 'son' thing is going to work. What do you think?"

Harry giggled in his highchair and banged his toy snitch on the tray in front of him.

"Yeah, maybe I'll say it in fifteen years when you discover a new passageway out of Hogwarts and have been secretly using it all year." James said. "And I have to give you a sentimental talk about why it's wrong."

He flipped over the bacon he was making for breakfast.

"But then your mum will leave the room and we'll add it to the Marauder's Map."

James looked over at Harry, who blinked at him. James started to laugh. Harry started giggling again, not really knowing what was so funny, only that he liked the sound of his dad laughing.

"I can see you already…under my Invisibility Cloak, wandering around Hogwarts in the middle of the night…maybe to meet a girl in one of the corridors?" James raised his eyebrows at Harry, who giggled and stuffed the toy snitch into his mouth.

"Yeah, with all the good looks and charm you inherited from me, you should have no problem getting any girl you want." James said pertly, but then he frowned. "Well, unless she's like your mother, and is too stubborn to admit she's been hopelessly in love with you since the first time she laid eyes on you in first year, and turns you down one hundred thousand times before finally seeing the error of her ways and agrees to accompany you on a trip to Hogsmeade at Christmas, where she'll mercilessly trap you under some mistletoe with no intention of letting you escape. Not that I was planning to, though." James added, winking at Harry, who tried to wink back, but couldn't seem to close one eye while keeping the other one open at the same time.

"It might've taken seven years of persuasion and a little, ah, 'deflating of the ego' as your mother liked to call it, but hey, I got her in the end, didn't I?" James smiled. "Ha, she'd probably yell at me for saying that, say that she's the one that got me in the end, but really, either way is fine with me."

Harry smiled up at James, showing him all three of his teeth, and shrieked, "Edo! Edo!"

"Exactly. When it comes to the ladies a big ego is something you do not want to have. Although while I merely called it 'extra confidence', your mum had to get all technical and tell me I was being a 'conceited toe rag'." James sighed and rolled his eyes as he put some eggs on a plate. "And, as usual, she was right. Do you know how annoying it is when she's right?"

Harry sat there in his highchair for a moment, looking befuddled, then he giggled and waved his arms.

"That's my boy." said James, patting Harry's head and accidentally getting flour in his jet black hair.

"Whoops," James said, trying to brush the flour out of his hair, but only succeeding to make his hair whiter. James surveyed the breakfast he was making. Bacon. Eggs. Toast. "You know what? I'm not even sure why I have the flour out in the first place, or exactly how it got on my hands. Oh well, what's another bath going to hurt you?"

"No no!" Harry said, his green eyes getting big. He wasn't too keen on baths.

"Hmm…okay then, how about this, we'll make a deal." James said, taking the bag of flour from where it sat next to a loaf of bread. "If I give you more flour to play with, you take a bath later. Deal?"

Harry gazed at the bag of flour in his father's hands, as though wondering what he could do with it, and if it was worth a bath later. He seemed to think it was compromising, for he held his tiny hands out for it.