I love you

by novella07

Lily Evans couldn't stand him. She knew he was watching her at that exact moment with his perfect hazel eyes and lopsided grin. She would not look over at him, she decided. She would not. His eyes were boring into her back. His eyes were the type that betrayed every feeling in his eye, if you knew him well enough. Sometimes she felt as if his eyes could see right through her. Not that that mattered. James Potter was a risk that Lily was not willing to take. Sometimes, she could see unmasked pain in his eyes when she turned him down. Lily told herself that he was pretending. He only wanted to prove that he could win her over.

Which was why, Lily refused to let him. Or at least to let him know. She made the mistake of looking up and her eyes found James in the corner with his friends. His friends were talking about something, but James was looking in her direction. He tossed her that lopsided grin, she had always loved and Lily tore her gaze away from him.

Lily pressed her quill to the parchment and began to write, but she couldn't concentrate. At least not on Transfiguration. Her mind was still on James, who she had to spend at least two hours a day with because of patrol, head duties, and tutoring.

"Ready, Evans?" he said, standing up. James was her stinking Transfiguration tutor. Lily had been forced to tutor him in Charms. Her weakness was his strength and vice versa.

"Yes, Potter," Lily answered stuffing her things in her bag and following him out of the common room. James didn't say a word to her as they walked down the hallway.

Something was wrong. Lily could tell. He normally would have taken the chance to ask her out. "All right, Potter?" she asked, looking up at him.

"Hm?" he turned to her. "Oh yeah. I'm fine."

He looked away and Lily took the opportunity to watch him. His eyes were glazed over as if he was trying to mask all feeling. His mouth was moving into a small frown as he looked at the ground as he walked. For once, he wasn't running a hand through his hair as if trying to make it look as if he had just climbed off of a broomstick. What in the world was wrong? She wondered, tempted to ask him. But, she refrained. She didn't know him well enough and he would take that as an encouragement for him to ask her out.

They finally reached the library without sharing another word between them. They sat down and Lily pulled out her essay and continued to watch James as he read over what she had written. Lily didn't notice that they were sitting a bit too close to each other.

"Well," he began pulling Lily out of her reverie. "I don't know if you quite understand the concept," he said and then began to explain while setting the essay in front of her. He pointed at something she had written, brushing his arms against her quite accidentally.

Lily could feel a brief shiver dance up her arms, and her concentration was shot. James was talking and pointing at her wand and showing her a motion with the wand, but she couldn't hear a word that he was saying. He placed his hand on her wand arm and showed her the motions of the spell.

"Okay, now you try it," he said.

Confused, she looked up into his breathtaking hazel eyes. "Try what?" she asked. "Oh, the spell."

"Evans, did you hear a word that I said?" he asked, sounding somewhat annoyed.

"Oh, well, not really. I heard you say to try it," she admitted, blushing.

Now, he looked like he was struggling to hold back a smile. "Thinking about something else?" he asked.

"Yes," she said almost defiantly, hoping he wouldn't ask her about what.