When

by ch-ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb

"Fuck! Expelliarmus!" She ran, ran, feeling like her lungs would burst.

"Lily duck!" She heard James shout behind her, and then she felt an arm around her, pushing her down. Lily hit the ground hard, James shielding her. "Are you alright?"

"Come on," Lily said, struggling to her feet and pulling James along behind her, sending stunners and tripping hexes over her left shoulder. "We have to go!"

"Have you… seen… Sirius?"

"No, no, I just barely got away from…" Lily stopped for half a moment. "Voldemort."

"I don't think now's the best time be star struck, Lils," James said, tugging her along.

"We can't leave without Sirius!" She said, but James was already turning on his heel, holding tight to her arm. They apparated to the outside of the flat where they had all been staying for a few months. Lily shoved off of James, heart in her throat. "What about Sirius?"

"What about me?" Lily whipped around. Sirius was leaning against the brick of the building, smoking a cigarette. He had a cut over his left eyebrow and a streak of blood down the side of his face.

"Oh my god," Lily cried, and there were tears of relief.

"How'd you know we'd be here?" James panted.

"Lucky guess." Sirius took another drag. "Shall we do this?"

"If we must," James said wryly. "What did my parents consider calling me when Mum was pregnant?"

"Elvendork. It's unisex."

Lily sighed, wiping her eyes. "What's the first film we saw together in the cinema?"

"West Side Story. I feel pretty, and witty, and gay!"

Lily smiled in relief. "How'd you get away?"

"About ten seconds after you lot. I actually dodged one of your stunners," Sirius said. "I saw you two apparate and knew I had to get out of there."

Lily nodded. James squeezed her hand. She took her wand out of her pocket, concentrating hard, to send a message to Dumbledore. Lily, James, and Sirius safe. Her silver doe took off at a gallop and disappeared. "Peter is with Remus tonight, yeah?"

James nodded. "Should one of us go…? I know we said we would go to Dumbledore straight away, but I feel awful leaving Remus during his...er. Time of the month."

It was as if time slowed and then stopped.

Lily stopped. Counting.

Her period was late. Significantly late. She'd not noticed because of the running and hiding and literally dueling Voldemort but she usually got it around the full moon. She tried desperately to remember what they had been doing the previous month at the full moon, but her mind was a blank. How late was she?

"Lily?"

"Sorry. What?"

"We should go to Dumbledore now."

Three days later, and still nothing. Lily was attempting to trigger menstruation in every way she could imagine; she wore white pants, she wore her best knickers, she initiated sex with James several times (using condoms, just in case), but still nothing.

Lily Evans realized for the first time in her life that perhaps it was a miscalculation that all of her friends were boys. Ever since she had stopped speaking to Tuney, the vast majority of her close relationships were with men.

She thought of Alice Longbottom, an Auror in the Order that she had come to admire. She was tough as nails, hardly ever smiled these days, and had once frowned at Benjy Fenwick when he mentioned blowing off some steam at a dance club. Lily didn't really think she could go to Alice for advice on handling a potential accidental pregnancy.