In the Rain

by final lullaby

James was sitting at the window seat of his dormitory. He was thankful he didn't have roommates anymore, now that he was a 7th year and Head Boy, much to many people's surprise. Hell, he was surprised too. The much-coveted position meant he had a bedroom all to himself. It also meant no one could see the hurt on his face, or the building wetness in his eyes.

Tonight, November 2, was Lily and Deryck's two month anniversary. Right now she was having a romantic candlelight dinner with the wanker. The thought churned his stomach.

He had originally thought that she had said yes when Deryck asked her out to make him jealous. But now she had been with him for two months.

He had tried to change for her. More considerate, less arrogant. The strangest thing was, he liked himself more now. He couldn't imagine going back to how he had been before. That was a sign to everyone (including himself) that he had fallen hard for this girl.

But apparently all the headway he had been making was lost on Lily. All the conversations they had had late night in the Head's comon room mean nothing to her.

James had closed his eyes and laid his forehead against the cold autumn windowpane. The sky was growing dar.

Good. James thought bitterly.

A crash of thunder made his eyes snap open. He hadn't even realized it was raining. He thought it was appropriate.

He gazed down at the grounds. The lake was being rippled by a barrage of rain drops and the squid was in hiding. It was a peaceful rain, not a storm, but peaceful and quiet, save for the occasional thunder in the distance.

He saw a flash of white. Then a twirl of hair. He could just make out a person -a girl- down by the lake.

It's nearly 11:00. What is she doing?

James got up to investigate, half because he was Head Boy and it was his job, and half because he wanted to meet this crazy girl.

Maybe... it's time to get over Lily.

He half-ran down the corridors and staircases, driven by the need to stop the hurting.

Panting and sweating, James arrived outside, but was still sheltered by an overhang. He squinted into the falling water.

"Oi! You there!"

The girl didn't seem to hear him, and for the first time, James realized she was twirling and dancing in the rain. She had a thin cloak on, but it was open and didn't seem to be doing much good against the cold and water.

The girl was wearing a soft-looking black tank top and blue cotton sleeping shorts. She was barefoot. James could see her elegant long legs- kicking and flailing in a most non-elegant way at the moment.

Then she fell into a graceful, slow rhythm with more twirling and less spazzing out. She had her arms above her head, and was doing something with her hips, and her head was turned to the sky, temporarily hiding her face.

However, there was no mistaking the long, red mane of hair that fell in waves halfway down her back.

"Lily?" James asked incredulously, stepping into the rain, and getting instantly drenched, his hair flattening down. He should have known. He probably did know, subconciously. Why else would he be so eager to meet this girl?

Lily turned to face him. She had a huge smile on her face that made James tingle inside when it was directed at him. She didn't look the least bit embarrassed to be caught dancing. "James! Come dance with me!" she shouted. The rain had intensified, and the only way to make James hear her was shouting.