Chapter 60

Kimiko's P. O. V:

I let out a groan of boredom as I trudge alongside Kiba. Kakashi was keeping close in case Toshiro tries to make an escape, since I was still gripping his rope.

It's been two and a half days since we left the village and there's been no sign of Toshiro's allies.

I ask, "Kakashi, how much longer will it take for us to reach Hozuki Castle?"

He responds, "About another day and a half. If all goes well, we should reach Hozuki Castle by sunset tomorrow."

I groan again. "More walking. Great! I wish we were there already."

Kiba says assuringly, "Awe, cheer up, Kimi-chan! We'll be there before you know it!"

"Kiba's right, Kimiko," Hinata tells me.

I blow at my bangs only for them to fall back into place as I grumble, kicking at a stone, "It's just, there's been no sign of Toshiro's cronies and he's been awfully quiet since we left the village."

We all glance at the black and gray haired man. He was gazing around until he notices us staring at him. Then he gives me another creepy smile.

"You're right about that," Murmurs Ibiki, black eyes narrowed.

Kakashi adds, nodding his head, "Yeah. You'd think that by now his comrades would've shown up to get him away from us..."

"Maybe they thought better about attempting such a thing?" Shino suggests.

"Or maybe," I add, "they're actually a bunch of cowards. Kakashi, can you give me a piggyback ride the rest of the way? I'm tired of walking."

"No, Kimiko. Walk on your own this time," He responds in a firm voice, sounding exaggerated.

I pout at him before I turn my hopeful gaze to Kiba. "Kiba-kun?"

He gives me an apologetic glance as he says, "Sorry, Kimi-chan. Kakashi Sensei is right. You need to walk in your own. At least till we reach our destination."

I groan a third time as I slump my shoulders.

Ibiki asks Kakashi, "Is she always like this?"

"Oh, yeah. Always."

"Nothing ever happens in these kinds of missions," I grumble in complaint, a sigh drifting from my lips.

Almost as soon as those words leave my mouth, four figures jump down from the trees. Time seems to slow as we turn to face two figures right next to me and Kakashi. The second male figure has short dark hair with a strand falling over his face and black eyes.

The one next to me is a man with long dark hair wearing a white haori over a black kimono shirt

The one next to me is a man with long dark hair wearing a white haori over a black kimono shirt. With earth covering his fist, the man punches me in the gut and I'm sent sailing backwards with a cry, the rope slipping from my grip.