Chapter 63

Kimiko's P. O. V:

I wander through the dim forest, the sun setting behind me.

"Well, Jet? Anything?" I ask the tall black and gray wolf as he continues to sniff the ground, searching for a particular scent.

"Nothing yet," He responds in his deep voice.

"Well, hurry it up, would ya?" I ask impatiently, a frown tugging on my blonde brows.

"Why are you so impatient, M' Lady? I'm sure she couldn't have gotten far," Jet says, glancing at me sidelong.

I let out a sigh as I lean against a tree, my arms crossed over my chest. "Sorry. It's just... it's getting dark and she's wandered pretty far from her caravan. I don't want anything to happen to her..." I meet my wolf's gaze. "I guess she just reminds me of my own little sister."

"You mean Touka-sama." It wasn't a question, rather a statement. I nod my head.

I think back to when I received this mission.

I stand before Tsunade's desk in her office, Shizune beside her while holding Tonton in her arms.

"Your mission is to find the younges daughter of a travelling caravan who's gone missing just this morning," The caramel eyed woman begins. "Her name is Kiko, and here's her description." Tsunade hands me a picture and I examine it.

It was of an adorable eight year old girl with most of her blonde hair in pigtails and big, bright blue eyes, wearing a sleeveless white dress.

"So I'm to find Kiko and bring her safely back to her family's caravan?" I ask, raising my violet eyes to Tsunade's. She nods her head in confirmation. "Who else is coming on the mission?"

Tsunade responds, "No one. Just you. I figure you could handle this task finding Kiko on your own. Plus, you'll have your wolves."

"Okay. I guess I'll be going, then," I say with a sigh.

I leave the tower and go home to prepare for the mission.

Jet says with a smile, "I like to think the Leaf Village has changed you a lot, Kimiko-sama."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Before you could care less about what happens to anyone, but now you become worried for your friends, and you fight to protect them, even though half the time you don't wish to help them."

I frown at him, though I know Jet is right. But it takes a certain amount of convincing from certain people in order for me to help them, such as how Sakura did it during the whole Sasuke incident. I say to my wolf, "Stop dawdling, Jet and help me find her."

"Yes, M' Lady," He says with a sigh but puts his nose back to the ground. I follow the black and gray wolf further into the forest, until he comes to a stop. "Just through those trees." Jet raises his head and nods towards some trees.

I head over and, sure enough, I come across a little girl that looks exactly as in the picture Tsunade gave me. She wa crying into her hands while sitting on the ground.

I say softly as her and I approach, "Hey, there, little one." Kiko looks up with a startled gasp, her blue eyes wide as they focus on us.

"Wh-Who are you?" She stutters fearfully.

"It's okay. I'm a ninja from the Hidden Leaf Village, Kimiko Sumire, and this is one of my wolf summonings, Jet," I introduce, gesturing to the tall wolf, who gives her a friendly smile.

"Greetings, young one," He says in his deep voice.

"I-I'm Kiko. I-I'm lost! I wandered t-too far from c-camp and I don't know wh-where I am," Kiko sobs.

I crouch before her as I say gently, "You see, that's why we're here. Your parents sent a request to have a Leaf ninja find you."

"Really?"

I nod my head, holding out my hand to her. "Come on. Let's get you back to your parents and older sister. I'm sure they must be worried for you," I murmur.

The little eight year old girl holds out her arms to me. I grip her waist and lift Kiko off the ground before I hold her against my left hip securely.

"Jet, you can go back now. Thanks for your help," I tell him, glancing to Jet.

"Anytime, M' Lady," He says. With a farewell nod to the little girl in my arms, my wolf disappears in a poof of smoke.

I turn and leap back through the trees towards the caravan, the sun sinking lower in the sky.

The sky was painted orange with lilac by the time I reach the edge of the clearing where Kiko's family was staying. I very silently leap down behind the parents, Kiko's blue eyes lighting up at the sight of them.

I gently set her down and she cries out happily as she rushes up to her family, arms held outward. "Mummy! Daddy! Reika-nee-chan!"

This causes them to whirl towards her. Crushing relief swims in Kiko's parents eyes as the mother, who has the same features as her, scoops the little girl up in her arms.

"Oh, Kiko, darling! There you are," The beautiful blonde woman says, hugging her daughter fiercely, while her husband, who has red hair and green eyes, and their eldest daughter who looks just like him, go up to them and surround them.

"We were so worried about you!" The man says.

"Are you alright?" Reika wants to know.

With a happy smile on my lips, tears welling up in my eyes, I decide to take my leave right away, so as not to disturb the happy reunion.

It makes my heart ache for my own family, but now I've found a new one in the Hidden Leaf Village.

I then silently turn and leap away, back towards The Hidden Leaf Village, leaving the now happy family to reunite with their missing daughter.