Chapter 72

Kimiko's P. O. V:

"So, Ken," I say as I fall into step beside him. "You're friends with Hisui-sama, right?"

"That's right," He affirms, nodding his head.

"What's she like?" I ask, genuinely curious.

"The most beautiful woman I've ever met! Not to mention, the most kindest," He gushes, blushing. I stare at him with a raised eyebrow. He notices and chuckles in embarrassment. "Or, at least she was until her parents' untimely death at the hands of the same people targeting Hisui herself. Now, she's shut herself away in the palace and rarely comes out."

"So, there's no other way we can meet her?" Kiba asks in slight disappointment.

"Unfortunately. Although..." Ken trails off as a thought seems to come to him. "She usually goes to a clearing with her horse and a few guards to sing to herself everyday. Hisui and her mother, Safaia, used to do that all the time."

"So, we could still meet her?" I say pointedly.

"I suppose I could take you. Though I'm not sure if she'll want to see you," Says Ken hesitantly.

We were led to the forest clearing by Ken anyway where we wait behind some bushes. There's also a lake.

I crouch beside Kiba as we watch a few figures on horseback approach moments later. One of them is a tall, beautiful woman on a white horse. She has sea green hair that stops below her shoulder blades and amethyst eyes. She wears a purple kimono.

The woman, whom I'm assuming is Hisui, is helped off her horse and a guard minds the reins while Hisui goes to sit by the lake.

We were all silent as her beautiful voice drifts through the clearing.

"Walking my childhood shore
I miss you so
Mama my music's yours
I cry 'till the water's blue
Where whales still sing
Remember when we sang it too
As a tide goes in, goes out
I close my eyes and you
Return to me
Return to me
On waves of ocean melody
No magic can make you reappear
But in the song of the whales
You are always here
Mama you'd be so proud
The way I shine
Wish that you could see me now
Oh, great creatures of the sea
Please hold her voice
For all of eternity
And like a siren's lullaby
I know you always will
Return to me
Return to me
On waves of ocean melody
No magic can make you reappear
But in the song of the whales
You are always here
Ooh
Always
Return to me
Return to me
On waves of ocean melody
No magic can make you reappear
But in the song of the whales
You are always here....
But in the song of the whales
You are always here
Always...."

Hisui finishes the song and closes her eyes, hand wrapping around a rose quartz crystal necklace I never noticed before.

I tense when I sense a presence and whip out my fan before I leap in front of the green haired woman, causing her to gasp sharply.

I raise my fan and deflect glass shuriken just as my teammates appear and deflect the rest of the shuriken. A few masked figures leap from the trees and attempt to attack the Feudal Lord, but we were there to meet them.

After I duck to avoid a few blows from a man's glass staff, I deflect another swipe with my fan before sending out a blast of air that throws him away from the woman.

"FANG OVER FANG!" I look to see Kiba and Akamaru having knocked back another masked assassin before the others fend off their opponents. In moments, the attackers had fled into the woods. "They're getting away!"

I stop Kiba before he could pursue the enemy further, holding out my hand. "Kiba, hold it! There's no need to pursue the enemy right now."

"But, Kimiko—!"

"She's right. The Princess is safe for now," Kakashi says. Kiba comes back to us as the Princess speaks.

"What is all this? Who are you?"

"Greetings, Hisui-sama. We're ninja from the Hidden Leaf," Says Kakashi before he introduces each of us in turn, like before.

"Goro-sama asked that I send a request to the Hidden Leaf for help against your assailants, Hisui-sama," Says Ken. "They came all this way from the Hidden Leaf Village."

"Whatever. It's not like anything can bring back my parents," Hisui says while turning sharply on her heels. "You should leave here too, Ken. You're a paige, now, so I have no time for you. Remember: our friendship is a thing of the past. Help me back onto my horse!"

"Yes, M' Lady!" The soldiers chime as Hisui strides back to her white horse.

I frown after her as I mumble, "Well, isn't she all sunshine and rainbows."

"You must forgive Hisui-sama," Says Ken as she's mounted into her horse. "She was never like this before her parent's death."

"Hey, look at this!" We turn to see Hinata holding up one of the glass shuriken. It glints in the sunlight.

We go over and Kakashi takes it from her, examining it. "Impressive. I've never seen it up close myself, though as I've mentioned, I've heard of it many years ago. It apparently belongs to the Garasu clan."

"The Garasu clan?" Kiba reiterates.

"Who were they?" Shino questions.

"A small clan but with a strong Kekkei Genkai. It was believed they were massacred after the Third Shinobi War, but it seems as though those rumours aren't true," Kakashi explains.

"So, what? We're dealing with a ghost from the past?" I mutter, shrugging. I have an uneasy feeling as we all exchange glances.

Kakashi murmurs wearily, "It would seem so."