Chapter 21

Bokuto hadn't realised that he had been staring at Akaashi for so long until Kuroo brought it to his attention, "bro, I know that you like him so instead of staring at him go talk to him." Bokuto turned to look at his friend, "Kuroo, have you seen him, he's the most beautiful person I've ever seen. He could literally have anyone he wants."

Everyone who saw Bokuto thought that he must be the most confident, upbeat person you could ever meet, however this perception of him always changed dramatically once you got to know him. Alot of the time the boy felt worthless, he had suffered until quite recently with depression and if it weren't for Kuroo and the others he wouldn't be in the good place that he is now. It's thanks to them that he managed to get his life together and sign for a major volleyball team.

Six months previously Bokuto walked in on his fiancee in a very compromising position with one of his good friends, a boy named Akito who had been one of Bokuto's closest friends since he was ten. It hurt like hell but the betrayal by his childhood friend hurt him alot more than the actions of his viper of a fiancee. To be honest he didn't love her he had just agreed to marry her as his father would not accept that his only son was into guys.

Bokuto had locked himself away only to find out weeks later that she was pregnant by Akito and that they had moved in together. He felt like a failure, so there was no way that he could let himself get into a situation were he could potentially have his heartbroken again even if it meant that he could never have a relationship with the beauty in front of him.

"Hey Akaashi" Kuroo shouted, "Bokuto wanted to know if you'd like to go for a walk along the beach." " Dude WTF" Bokuto growled at his friend. "I'd love to" Akaashi replied with a smile, "just let me change. I'll be back in five" and with that he dashed off upstairs before anyone noticed the flush on his face but Kenma had noticed and followed him.

"Keiji, are you okay?" the small blonde asked with a slightly worried look on his face as he noticed the fresh bruises on his friends stomach and back as he tried to shield himself from Kenma's glare. "Is she still hitting you?" he sighed sadly. "It's okay, I deserved it" Akaashi answered quietly.

"Akaashi, who did that to you?" Kenma's eyes widened as he looked at the horrified look on Akaashi's face and then at the look at pure anger on the face of the boy standing in the doorway.

The dark haired boy burst into tears as Kenma rushed to embrace him, "I'm so sorry Keiji, I didn't realise that anyone was about." "It's okay" he replied hugging the blonde tightly,"I'm fine, don't worry. You go and have fun, I'm going for a stroll with Bokuto so I'll see you when we get back." Kenma was reluctant to leave but for some reason he felt that Akaashi would be safe with this man so he smiled and then left the room.

Bokuto looked at the boy in front of him with a pained expression, "we don't need to go if you don't feel up to it." "It's fine, honestly. It'll take my mind off everything if we go plus I was kinda looking forward to it" he replied shyly.

The boys walked along the beach, chatting and laughing. Akaashi felt safe with Bokuto, like he didn't need to worry about anything. They eventually sat on the sand as the sun disappeared for the day, making the temperature drop. Akaashi hated the cold and shivered slightly so Bokuto took off his thin jacket and draped it around the dark haired boys shoulders whilst rubbing his arms to keep the other warm. In the end he just wrapped his arms around the boy and held him tight.

"Akaashi, you don't need to tell me everything if it makes you uncomfortable but who did that to you?" Bokuto asked. "It was my mom" he sighed. "Why did she do it?" "She doesn't like people saying that I'm pretty or beautiful as it makes her jealous so she hits me when she gets mad. She never hits me where the marks are visible as she want's to preserve the illusion that she's a good mother, even though she's not" he replied with a shaky voice.

"How long has she been doing this" Bokuto asked getting angrier by the minute. "Since my dad left when I was 8" he cried sobs eventually racking his body.

"She's never going to touch you again. I promise" Bokuto whispered.