Chapter 22

WARNING - HOMOPHOBIC SLURS

Kenma looked visibly upset when he returned to the group. He couldn't understand how a parent could be so fucked up that they could inflict so much damage to a child that they were supposed to love and protect, especially to someone as kind and placid as Akaashi.

Kuroo noticed the small blonde sat alone in a corner trying to look like he was actually playing on a gaming device but it wasn't hard to see to someone as intuitive as him that Kenma's eyes were unfocused and his mind was obviously elsewhere.

Before he realised what he was doing he was stood in front of the boy, "are you ok?" he asked, startling the blonde with his sudden question. " Yes" was all he replied obviously not wanting to elaborate on how he was actually feeling. "Look, I know that you don't know me but I've been told that I'm a really good listener" he said with a cheesy smile, which was wiped off his face when the small blonde looked up with tears streaming down his face.

"Hey, please don't cry. Just talk to me" he said with concern in his voice as he bent down slightly and offered the boy his hand, "come on, let's get out of here." Kenma decided that he was willing to give the taller male a chance, so he grasped his hand and walked out of the house with him.

They didn't go far, just over to the beach house where Kuroo was staying as all of the others were either on the beach or sat around the fire pit. Kuroo handed the small boy as energy drink from the refrigerator and then they sat on some tall stools that were against the breakfast bar.

"Will your friend hurt Akaashi" the boy asked shattering the silence. Kuroo looked a little taken aback but replied, "Bokuto has been through a lot and he's a big teddy bear, he would never hurt your friend". "Are you sure because I'm not sure how much more he can take" Kenma sniffled.

"Look, I'll tell you a bit about him and let you judge for yourself. He's the kind of friend who drops everything for you if you need him, even if he isn't in the best possible place himself. He fiercely defends anyone that he loves, including his friends. He's heartbroken, his father treats him like he means nothing, his best friend got his fiancee pregnant..." "Is he straight? Is he using Akaashi to get over what happened to him because if he is none of us are going to stand for it" Kenma shouted angrily.

Kuroo was speechless, he didn't realise that such a small body could emit so much sound. "No, please let me explain. Bokuto is bi, his father forced him into getting engaged to the girl as he thinks that the fact that is son also likes guys is an abomination" Kuroo didn't mean to get so angry but he needed to defend his friend. "He was more upset that he lost his childhood friend and I never thought that love at first sight existed until I saw Bokuto's expression when he first saw your friend." He stopped to compose himself as the conversation was making him emotional.

"I'm sorry" Kenma whispered just loud enough for Kuroo to hear. "Akaashi is going through so much at the moment, it destroys me everytime I see fresh bruises on him knowing that I can't do anything."

"Is someone abusing him?" Kuroo asked, shock apparent on his face. "Yes, his mother is" Kenma sniffed. "Why would someone do that to their own flesh and blood?" "Akaashi was always closer to his dad and he in turn was always his dads priority which made his mom jealous so when they split up she began to beat him."

Kuroo was shell-shocked, "why is no one contacting the police if they can see that he's injured?" "She's devious" the small boy replied, "she only ever hits him in places where the bruising can't be seen and she tels him that no one would ever believe him as she's an upstanding citizen and he's just a 'fag'."

Kenma could see the anger flare in Kuroo's eyes, "she called him what?"