Last Chance

I sat myself on the little bed in my tent fiddling with the little purple ribbon in my hand moving it around my fingers, around my hand, feeling its soft but well-worn fabric. I heard footsteps close to my tent but I thought little of it until I heard three gentle but loud taps on my tent pole.

I sat up returning my ribbon into my hair, "who is it?" I asked

"Uhhh it's ummmm well" a family voice stuttered from outside the tent

"Newt?"

"Yes."

"Come in" I reassured as I got comfy on my bed and he quickly came in shutting the tent up behind him, he stood in his boots, his loose cargo pants, his old dusty brown shirt and that fluffy jacket all clothes from the right arm that he had happily adopted post scorch and all. I noticed his hair was out of place not just from the fact it desperately needed a cut, but where he had clearly been fiddling with it in fact his fingers ran through it again as he stood on my rug tossing his weight from foot to foot in both nerves and clearly his bad leg was hurting him more so than usual. I noticed too he was missing the holsters he usually never parted with but his capsule was still around his neck even if he wouldn't tell me why he started wearing it.

"Hello" he smiled actually waving at me even though he literally is stood in my tent to feet from my bed

"Hello" I giggled giving him a little wave too "something you wanted newt?"

"Ohhh uhhhhh... kinda"

"Kinda?" I asked giving him a glare he wrinkled his nose a little his head slightly turning to the side like a confused puppy and he shrugged his shoulders "come on" I smiled tapping my bed beside me

"You sure?"

"Like you haven't ever sat on my bed before newt" I chuckled which made him crack a small smile too before he came and sat on my bed beside me his hands together fiddling with his own fingers

"I wanted to talk to you once"

I was.. admittedly paused for a moment at his words "I imagine you've wanted to talk to me a lot of times. I have known you almost four years now newt"

"I know, but... I wanted to have This. Conversation with you once before"

"When?" I asked almost trying to guess

"The night before we left," he says, barely looking at me, his eye squarely on my rug and it was rightfully intimidated. "I stood passing up and down outside your door for... what must have been hours. I'm surprised there wasn't a little track where I was walking."

"Why didn't you tell me this then?"

"I ran out of time." He answered, "I passed and passed and then the sun came up."

"You could have still told me even if the sun was up."

"I couldn't, I knew I was out of time and honestly... I felt awful. I wasted what I thought could have been my only chance. But I guess I got lucky to get another one." He smiled "y/n. Tomorrow I'm leaving."

"Leaving!"

"Shhh"

"Leaving? Newt but... to go where?"

"To the last city. With Tommy"

"You're going after Minho aren't you?"

"We are. Hopefully, we can bring him home"

"That'd be nice. I miss him too" I sighed leaning my head on newts shoulder a little

"I know you do. Y/n. I won't be coming back"