The Boy From the Bay

I forced myself up as I often did, the moment the sun broke over the shimmering horizon. I forced my feet out of my hammock and onto the hole-filled grid metal floor I quickly turned on the shower for it to heat up while I brushed my teeth using the last of my little tube. I hopped in the shower and scrubbed every inch of me before the water ran like ice. So I hopped out got dry and dressed into my tall socks, my jeans with my belt, my vest shirt, my thick boots and all my various tools and bags for everything I would need for the day ahead. I tied my hair up with a red ribbon and I took my walking stick fashioned from the spines of several B.O.M I held the scanner letting it read my fingerprint and turn green setting off the small alarm and immediately hearing it echoing. as The airlock slid open revealing the sunlight to me. I rushed out letting it shut up behind me looking over the hill across the vast glimmering nothingness. 

This once was an amazing place a beacon of light and progress, A testament to the future. 

Now it remains as a vast endless void of empty streets', fallen glass, dust, sand and the littered corpses of B.O.M's. 

The only sound for miles was the whistling of the wind. 

I hurried down through the dust and sand whistling to myself and humming little tunes I would never really forget. 

I went the long as as I always did not like I don't have time to kill, but mostly to avoid the more populated area's, Well I say populated. but still I couldn't avoid some of them. 

I saw one even if there was little left of it, I past this one so often I had cannibalized most of its useful parts a B.O.M. The reason the world being what it is, and the reason I was alone. 

I continued to walk as they always gave me the creeps. 

I couldn't help reminding myself how the world had got this way.

Humanity as far back as could be reordered by history have always strived and worked hard to make progress and yet laziness has always been an unfortunate trait in many of us. Even as early as the first tools the argument for our laziness could be made, as we have always looked to find ways to make our own lives safer, easier, and simpler. However, that comes at a price. Our own skills fade away lost to time and history. From the moment they appeared the fear was there, that they would replace us, that they could hurt us, that we would one day be no match for the machines. But still it went on with advances that truly did help humanity but as all things do, we became complacent and lazy. We wanted all the time for ourselves forcing the machines to do the work for us as little as stocking a shelf too as large as running a business. Then fear came true, AI. It could think. for itself. Some where thrilled and others fearful but after a few years of development and showing just how useful it could be most welcomed it with open arms. 

Then, She came. 

Mai.

Built by leading geniuses at steal and science Corp. Mai, Mind Of Artificial Intelligence.  

she was something never seen before, the closest to human an AI would ever get. 

She was a smash hit, making them trillions. 

Everyone had Mai in their homes, their jobs, and everywhere. 

She drove your car, she did your shopping, she did your vacuuming, and she ran planes and hyperlinks the world over. 

But this peace and technological wonder would be short-lived.

After only a few years of this something happened, Regarded as the twenty-four-hour doomsday a foolish term looking back in hindsight. 

For twenty-four hours precisely, Mai turned herself off. 

As much as S&Scorp tried nothing could be done she was off.