Part 8

Sidharth's P.O.V.

I stood outside my clinic and looked at the chaos happening. After everything calmed down, I returned to treating my patients but couldn't understand why Sana was so angry. Neha came in and asked, "Sid, should I order lunch for you?" "No. I'm going to the home. I'll eat something there," I said. I needed to meet Sana as well. Perhaps, she got angry because she couldn't talk to me today. Maybe she had something important indeed to tell me and I didn't listen. I leaned back on my chair and looked up at the ceiling. "Should I close the clinic? You don't have any appointments this afternoon," she asked. I nodded. "You look tired. I think you should go and get some rest," she said, "I'm leaving now." "See you tomorrow," I said. "Bye," she said and left. I went to the home and looked around at everyone eating. Sana was nowhere in sight. Turning my head to the garden, I saw her working. Strands of hair kept falling over her face and she tried tucking them back with the back of her hand. The sun was scorching but she worked diligently. I went and sat down in the circle with a plate of food, looking at Sana closely. "Did she eat?" I asked Sharad. "Who?" He asked. "Sana," I said. "She keeps saying that she will eat in a while," he said. I shook my head. Why is she so stubborn? She knows that if she skips a meal, it will directly affect her health. I rested my plate down and looked at her. Getting up, I went and stood behind her with my shadow blocking her body from the sun. She turned back and looked up at me. Without saying anything, she continued with her work. "What did you want to tell me earlier?" I asked. "What did I want to tell you?" She asked. "When you came to my clinic," I said. "I can't remember," she said. "Are you angry because I didn't listen?" I asked. She froze for a second and then continued. 

"Come and eat," I said holding up her hand. "I will eat later," she said. "Sana, you have you eat. Come on," I said. "Sidharth, I said that that I will eat later. It's only a few more plants and then, I'll eat by myself," she said. "You know that..." I started frustrated but was stopped by her getting up and walking away. "Rude, mannerless girl," I muttered under my breath. I went and sat back down and began eating, while closely looking at her. "It's no use trying to force her. She won't listen," Roopa Maasi said. "I don't understand how one person can be so stubborn and full of attitude," I said. Just as I finished my plate of food, she came. She washed her hands and took her plate however, there was merely three mouthful of plain rice alone. "Why are you eating so little?" Sharad asked. "I can't eat peas," she said. I scoffed making sure that she noticed it. "I'm allergic to it," she said. I frowned. "But, how can you eat plain rice?" Roopa Maasi asked worried. "It's ok. I'll have this until dinner," she said and ate it silently. I sat opposite her and looked at her as she ate without a single complaint. "Should I make some dhal for you?" Roopa Maasi asked. "I'm finished," she said getting up. Everyone looked visibly disturbed at her lunch and even I felt unsatisfied. "Had I known that she was allergic to peas, I would have never told the chef to cook this," Sharad said. I followed her back to her room and looked at her through the window. She opened a small pouch of medicines and took one tablet. As she came out, I hide behind the door and looked at her going back out. I dropped my shoulders, sighing regretful at how I treated her. Roopa Maasi came along and asked, "What are you doing here?" "I...I..." I stammered, "I came to use the washroom." "I'm thinking of making a big meal this evening. Poor Sana, she couldn't have a proper lunch. She must be suffering with that rice alone. She deserves a good dinner," she said. I nodded and left. 

I went back outside and sat down, looking at her still at work. Everyone helped her and they looked really nice working together. "Sat Shri Akal," Megha said walking in with her mother. I immediately improved my posture and sat straight and looked at her. "Mrs. Singh, Megha, come in," Sharad said rushing out to meet them. He made them sit down and Megha looked at me shyly as I glanced at her again and again. "What is happening here?" Mrs. Singh asked. "Gardening. We are planting some flowers and trees to beautify the home," he said. "That's great," she said. "Sidharth?" She said. "Yes," I said. "Aren't you helping?" She asked. I smiled and glanced at Megha again saying, "A little." "So, Aunty, what brings you here?" Sharad asked. "Megha prepared some 'pinniyan.' We thought that we would bring some for everyone. She shyly handed me the bowl. "That's great. Everyone will enjoy this," he said. "Sharad," Sana said coming to us. I looked at how weak she looked. "Sana," he said standing up, "Are you ok?" "I am. Do you have one more hoe?" She asked. "Yeah, it's in the storeroom. I'll get it," he said. "It's ok. I'll get it," she said and left. I looked at her going away. "Isn't she the same girl that caused chaos in the neighbourhood this morning?" Mrs. Singh asked. "Yeah. That was just a misunderstanding," Sharad said. She scoffed saying, "Misunderstanding? I saw her taking up the stone and bursting the man's glass. This girl seems to have no sense of well upbringing. Typical, spoilt city girl." I somehow felt bad hearing her talking about Sana like this. She might be right in what she is saying but it still didn't felt as if it was the truth. "Sana is actually a nice girl. She is the one planning and developing our garden," Sharad said. "Oh! You hired her," she said. He looked at me hesitantly and then said, "No. Actually, she is punished to do community service by a judge." "Serves her right. I think she should have been punished even more for what she did earlier," she said.