Part 23

Sidharth's P.O.V.

As I looked at her, my phone rang and I looked at the number as I saved it as, 'Sana's Mom.' I answered the phone saying, "Namaste." "Hello beta, how are you?" She asked. "I'm good aunty," I said but immediately frowned. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to call you aunty," I said apologising. "It's ok. You can call me aunty if you want. I'm sorry I am bothering you so much. I was just missing Sana," she said. "She's absolutely fine. In fact, she's in front of me right now. You don't have to worry. Everyone here takes very good care of her and she has become like family now," I said. "I am so happy to hear that. Maybe, this punishment isn't a bad one afterall," she said. "Maybe, it wasn't," I said staring at her. "I'm not in doubt that you will take care of her very well," she said. "You don't have to worry. Your daughter is safe as long as she is with me," I said. "Thank you. Take care," she said. "Bye aunty," I said. "Bye," she said. I hung up the phone and looked at Sana. With one hard blow to the chillies, some of the powder blew into her eyes and she immediately dropped everything. She shut her eyes and quickly covered it with her hand. "Sana!" I exclaimed, running to her. Everyone gathered around her as she cried in pain. Quickly, I made her sit down and she sobbed saying, "My eyes are burning. Help me, please." I frowned at imagining how painful it must be for her. "I'll go get some ice water," Sharad said. "I'll be back," I said and raced to my office. I grabbed my bag and rushed back over. Sana was now in her room and she kept a cloth soaked in ice water over her eyes. "Sana," I said sitting next to her. She moved around her hands to touch me and I held them. "Sidharth, my eyes are really burning. Do something please," she said. "Don't worry, nothing will happen to you," I said caressing her hair. I quickly took some drops and warned her, "This will burn a bit but it will ease up the pain shortly." 

I made her head go back and slightly opened her eyes with my fingers as she tightly grabbed my shirt. I instilled the drops and she quickly shut her eyes tighter. "Ahh!" She screamed. "Don't worry," I said, "Next eye." I dropped the drops in her second eye and she had the same reaction. I took some cotton and tried removing as much powder from her eyes and again dropped the medicine. I placed two cotton over her eyes and tied a bandage around them. I held her hand and wiped away her tears. Cupping her face, I said, "Don't worry. You will be fine. I'll be here to put your medicines. Just don't try to move around before you damage yourself." "Roopaji," she said. Maasi sat on the bed and held her hand. "Can you give me some water?" She asked. Maasi gave her the water. "I think we all should leave her to rest," Sharad said. "Maasi, you go, I'll stay," I said. "Sana, will you stay with Sid?" Maasi asked. She nodded. I tightened my grip on her hand and looked at her feeling guilty. Everyone left and I sat quiet. "Hey, doc," she said, "Why are you so quiet?" "I'm sorry," I said. "It's ok. It's my fault. I was looking at you so angrily that I didn't pay attention to what I was doing," she said. "That just makes it my mistake," I said. "Sidharth," she said, "Don't blame yourself otherwise I will cry and tears have salt and my eyes will burn even more." I chuckled and shook my head as she smiled. "You won't stop joking even in this situation, will you?" I said. "I just can't see you upset. Although, I can't literally see right now as well," she said. We giggled. She raised her hand and felt my face before cupping my cheeks. It was lucky for me that she couldn't see me turning red by her actions and she said, "I can feel your aura and I don't want you being in tension. So, cheer up. Because as long as you are my doctor, nothing will happen to me. Even if tomorrow something worse happens to me, you will be there to save me." 

"Don't start with your stupid jokes again. Putting yourself in danger isn't funny," I said remembering the joke she cracked yesterday. She smiled a bit and pulled my head closer, slowly. My eyes were somehow fixed on her lips as I got closer to her. My feet and hands began to get cold. My heart raced and my nerves were going haywire. She bent her head down and joined her forehead with mine. "Thank you for everything you have ever done for me until now. If there is anything I can do to repay you in the future, just let me now. My life is on the line for you as well," she said. I pulled back slowly and looked at her, completely taken aback and overwhelmed by her words. "Thank you," was all that I could say. She smiled and said, "Now go and fulfil your promise." "What promise?" I asked still unable to recover from what just happened. "You promised me ice cream. Go and get it," she said. "But, I have to put your eye drops again in two hours," I said. "So will you take two hours to get ice cream?" She asked. "Uhh...no but, don't you want me to stay with you?" I asked. "You are only looking for excuses, aren't you?" She asked. "No, I just don't think leaving you alone is a good idea," I said. "But I want ice cream," she said pouting. "Ok, ok," I said, "I'll go and get your ice cream and I'll send Roopa Maasi to be with you. I'll be back soon to put your eyedrops." "Ok," she said smiling excited for her treat. I left the room and informed Maasi where I am going and asked her to look after Sana. "Don't worry," she said. I got into my car and left to go to the town to get sugar free ice cream for her. It will take me close to one hour in getting there and coming back. I drove happily to get her the ice cream. After a half an hour, I reached and got the snack for her. I left and was driving back when I saw Neha calling out for a taxi.