Part 25

Sana's P.O.V. 

I cleaned the kitchen and was leaving the home at half nine to meet Sidharth when Sharad stopped me asking, "Where are you going?" "I am going to the market to get some vegetables," I said. "But your eyes haven't healed properly as yet and the sun is bright," he said. "It's ok. I have my sunglasses," I said. "I'll come with you," he said. "No!" I exclaimed abruptly, "I won't be long and besides, if you come with me, I won't learn anything. I'll be back soon. Bye!" Saying that, I dashed out and crossed the street. I entered the clinic and Neha frowned at me. I looked at the time and it was half nine. With my biggest smirk, I walked up to the counter but before I could say anything, she said, "Sid is busy. He has a lot of appointments today and he won't meet you unless you are a patient with an appointment. Now leave before wasting anyone's time." "Relax. I won't waste his time. I have an appointment for half nine," I said. "What do you mean...?" She asked looking at the diary. "Daljeet Kaur," I said stretching my hand forward. She glared at me. "You lied," she said. "I did not. My eyes are really burning and hazy," I said. "You..." she said gritting her teeth but stopped when Sidharth called her and asked for the next patient. One man left the office and before she could hang up the phone, I ran inside. Sidharth looked at me taken aback as I sat down in front of him. Neha came running behind but Sidharth sent her back out. Smiling, I sighed and said, "Hey doc." "Sana, I have an appointment with a patient now. You can't just barge into my office like this," he said. Smiling, I said, "I know you have an appointment with Daljeet Kaur." He narrowed his eyes at me and understood by himself with my devious smile that she was none other than me. "What is this about?" He asked. "My eyes are really burning. They are hazy and I can't see anything properly," I said. 

"That's normal. You will be good in a few hours. Just keep instilling the eyedrops I gave you," he said with a neutral face. "Right. But aren't you going to flash the light thingy in my eyes and check me?" I asked. "Sana, I have already checked you," he said. "But what about follow ups?" I asked. "There is no special need. But if you are insisting, I will come tonight and check you," he said. I frowned at his indifferent behaviour towards me. "Why are you ignoring me?" I asked. "I'm not," he said. "Sidharth, don't act with me anymore. Tell me what's wrong? What is it that is bothering you?" I said. "Sana, I have a lot of patients waiting for me. Don't waste their time. Please, I promise you that I will talk to you tonight," he said. "Does this mean that I have to think the entire day what is it bothering you? What if I don't live to see tonight? I will die without knowing?" I said. "Shut up Sana," he said snapping at me, "Stop your childish behaviour. Enough with your foolishness. I told you that I will tell you tonight so just leave and let me meet my patients." My eyes welled up and I felt hurt. "Sidharth..." I started but he said, "Go!" I got up and left the office. Instead of going back to the home, I went to the market and bought the vegetables. I wore my sunglasses more to hide my tears than the sunlight as I walked along the road. Again, I didn't bargain. Even if I wanted to try, I wasn't in any mood for anymore quarrelling so I paid the price the vendor called and left.

Sidharth's P.O.V. 

I was going crazy with my feelings. Yes, I was avoiding her. I knew that even if I felt something for her, our relationship would have no future because she wouldn't remain here and I won't leave here. She's only here for two more weeks and then she will leave. It's better to hurt her now and kill any feelings she might develop than leaving here with a broken heart in a few days. I know it might sound stupid if I told anyone but she means a lot to me and if avoiding her from feeling hurt will increase mine, I will take it. I don't want anything else but for her to be happy. It's already hard for me to keep avoiding her like this but, it's for her. As I was seeing my patient, I heard some ruckus outside and tried to ignore it to concentrate on my current patient but Sharad rushed into my office, covered with blood and broke news to me that made me feel like my world was crashing down, "Sid, Sana just got hit by a car! She's in a terrible state! Please come and see her!" My heart stopped for a while and I felt as if I would vomit my insides anytime soon. I dropped everything and ran outside to see a crowd of people surrounding Sana. She laid on the side of the road with vegetables all around her and drenched in her own blood. Her eyes were wide open, as if she was in shock and she panted for breath. It took me a few seconds to register anything before I could react. "Sana!!" I screamed as I ran to her. I held her with my hands trembling and my brain unable to think. "Sid, we need to get her to the car," Sharad said. All the ladies from the home were crying hysterically as they gathered around her. I picked her up and sat in the back seat of my car as Sharad rushed us to the hospital. She looked up at me with blood flowing from her head. My eyes welled up with tears as I began getting more and more scared. "Sana," I said cupping her face, "I'm sorry. Don't leave us. Don't leave me. I'm sorry."