Part 27

Sidharth's P.O.V. 

I left Sana in the room and went out to talk to her mother. Shaking my head, I said, "She's adamant. She wants to stay." "This child," she said. "If it's not a problem with you and if it reassures you, may I make a suggestion?" I asked. "Sure," she said. "I can take Sana to my home and she can recover there. She doesn't want to leave yet. And not only as a doctor but as Sana's friend also, I would advise that you listen to what she wants. A patient recovers quicker when they are kept happy. Please, let her stay? And I swear with my life this time that I won't let any harm befall her. I will lay my life down taking care of her. I promise you that," I said. She smiled with tears in her eyes and cupped my cheek. "God bless you son. Sana can't find a better friend than you and I trust you. Sana will stay with you now until she recovers," she said. I felt overjoyed. "Thank you aunty," I said. I ran back into the room, excited to give this news to her. Seeing my excitement, she asked, "Did she agree?" I nodded. Finally, her smile was back. Her mother came in and smiled at her. "You always get what you want, don't you?" She said. "Whose daughter am I?" She said. "Sidharth will take care of you. Trust me when I say, you can't find a better doctor," she said. "I know that," Sana said holding my hand. Her phone rang and she went outside to answer it. "So, doc, you managed to convince my mother, huh? May I know how?" She asked. "That's our secret," I said. "No, I am not coming back for the next few weeks. My daughter needs me right now. Cancel all my meetings. They can be however important. Nothing is more important than my daughter," her mom said on the phone. I looked at Sana realising how much her mother loves her. I knew that she needed it. She hung up the phone and came back. "Mom, you don't have to cancel your meetings for me. Go and attend them. I have a lot of people here with me," she said. "It's ok baby. It's just a few meetings. I will stay with you," she said. 

Visiting hours reached and everyone came to meet Sana. They met her mother as well. As they were all chatting, Inspector Tripathi called me and I stepped out to talk. "Sid, I spoke to the judge and he is willing to cancel the rest of the sentence for Sana. The folks from the home gave a written statement that she fulfilled all her required duties to the best of her ability and he revoked the punishment," he said. "That's great news. Sana will be so happy to hear this," I said. "Yes she will. I'll come to congratulate that troublemaker myself later," he said. "Surely do," I said chuckling and hung up. I sighed and smiled. Going back into the room, I said, "Inspector Tripathi called. He said that the judge revoked Sana's punishment and now, she's free." Everyone shouted with hooray and applauded. Sana, on the other hand, frowned and looked disappointed. I frowned, observing her expression. Later that evening, her mother decided to stay with her so I had to leave. Sitting at home, I thought about her. How was she feeling? Was she in pain? Did she eat properly? Did she take her medicines? I couldn't even call to check on her. Sitting on my bed, I held my phone and gave it one long stare. "You know, if I was with Sana, you would ring and disturb us at the very wrong moment. Why can't you ring now?" I scolded. I flung it aside and laid down. "Fine, if Sana isn't missing me or thinking of me, what should I do? I will go to sleep. If she doesn't want to talk to me, I won't go tomorrow either and see her," I said annoyed. I pulled the blanket over my face and then removed it. Sitting up on the bed, I felt restless. I took up my phone and looked at it again. "Don't just stay quiet! Ring!" I said. It's like the universe listened to me and the phone rang. It was Sana's mother and I clumsy dropped the phone. Quickly picking it up, I answered, "Hello aunty." "I am no aunty. It's me," Sana said whispering. I smiled. "Hi," I said running my hand through my hair. "What is wrong with you? Why couldn't you call me?" She asked in a soft tone. 

I frowned. "Why are you angry with me? You could have called me too," I said. "Sidharth, I am the patient, you are the doctor. You were supposed to call me," she argued. "Looks like my Diva is back," I said smiling. "I didn't go anywhere. I was here all the time," she said. "I know, she was sleeping," I said. "Why didn't you stay tonight with me?" She asked. "Sana, your mother is with you. Let her stay," I said. "But, I..." she said and stopped. "You, what...?" I asked. "I miss you," she said. My heart was happy to know that she was missing me too. "I guess, I am just used to having you around, teasing and troubling me. When you aren't talking to me or angry, I feel as if a part of me is being killed," she said. Perhaps she didn't know what her words were doing to me. "Sana, I think you should go to sleep. It's quite late and it's not good for you to wake so long," I said. "Don't you want to talk to me?" She asked sadly. "No, I want to," I blurted out. "Then, come and meet me," she said. "Now?" I asked. "Yes," she said. "Are you sure?" I asked. "I am," she said. "Ok," I said. I hung up and took my jacket and left the house, anxious. I got into my car and drove to the hospital. I couldn't help but to smile the entire way. Maybe, I got a hint of what Sana felt about me and I began to get high hopes of 'us.' As I reached the hospital, I entered and went to Sana's room, only to find her sleeping. I smiled and dropped my shoulders. Her mother was on the sofa, sleeping. As quietly as possible, I opened the door and tiptoed to her bed. I looked at her sleeping and gave her a kiss through my hand on her cheek. Capturing her sleeping self in my mind, I left and went back home. While looking at her pictures on my phone, I fell asleep.