Part 39

Sana's P.O.V. 

As we sat down for dinner, I sat opposite Sidharth since I knew that the first chance he get, he will grab onto my hand. Sharad served everyone soup because of our acts of dancing in the rain earlier. As I was sipping on it, something touched my foot and I looked at Sidharth smirking at me. His foot was caressing mine under the table. I moved my eyes around at everyone and they were completely unaware of what was happening. I glared at him and his smirk became larger and more mischievous. I crossed the end of my feet and pulled it back under the chair. After some moments, his eyes turned to me with confusion. It was my turn to smirk and I was amused. "What's that?" Roopaji asked sitting next to me, confused. She raised the table cloth and said, "I swear something was just touching my feet." I choked on the soup and coughed. "Are you alright?" She asked rubbing my back and handing me a glass of water. I nodded as I drank the water and looked at Sidharth's face all red. I winked at him and swallowed my water before I choked on that as well out of amusement. After dinner, I was helping Sharad with the dishes in the kitchen. "So, you knew that Sidharth liked me?" I said. "I did," he said. "Since when?" I asked. "Do you remember when we were both having lunch at that restaurant and Sid came?" He asked. I nodded. "That was when he sold out his secret," he said. "What do you mean?" I asked. "He was clearly jealous! He was on fire! Can't you remember how he acted?" He asked. Thinking back about it, I thought of his face with an open mind this time and he was angry. He even left without eating in a hurry. I smiled and shook my head. Washing the last bowl, I handed it to him to dry when he said, "But seriously. All of this only proves how scared he is of losing you. I have known him since a long time and truthfully, he doesn't admit to it but his biggest fear is losing the people he love the most. He believes that everyone will leave him one day just like his parents."

This made me even more depressed thinking about how I am going to tell him that I'm returning. Obviously, I will try to convince him to come with me but he has dreams of remaining here. "Hey, what are you doing with my girl alone?" Sidharth asked coming into the kitchen. "I was just telling her to stay away from your room," he teased. "You're lucky you didn't tell anyone about this," Sidharth said. "I won't. Not until you two decide," Sharad said. "And you don't have to tell my girlfriend where to go or not," he said. "Ok, change the topic," I said embarrassed, "You two are too perverted." "Hear who's talking," Sidharth said. I glared at him. Sharad chuckled saying, "Enjoy your night and use protection if you are...ahem...you know what I mean." "Shut up," I said getting weak. He left me and Sidharth there and I avoided eye contact because of my shyness. "Why are you blushing so hard?" Sidharth teased. "It's awkward to hear those things from other people," I said lowering my head. "Relax, you know Sharad and his teasing," he said holding my shoulders. "Still. I'm embarrassed," I said. "Aww..." he said and just was about to hug me when Roopaji came in. We stepped away from each other and she asked without questioning us, "Sana, why don't you spend the night here?" I frowned and looked at Sidharth. "I...I..." I said not thinking of any excuses. "You see, it's not really proper for a single boy and girl to stay alone like this. We allowed it when you were ill but you're fine now," she said. I gulped my saliva and looked at Sidharth. "Listen to me and come back across here until you leave," she said. "Ahh...Maasi, actually, you see, umm...it's not like we both sleep in the same room or share the same bed. Let her sleep at my house," Sidharth said nervously. "No! Absolutely not! Things happen," she said. 

"Th...things...? What do you...mean?" I asked stammering and trembling. "I mean, people talk nonsense," she said. "I don't care about people," Sidharth said. "But you care about your reputation, right? Today I heard people saying that you two are sleeping on the same bed. Disgusting! People speak so nasty sometimes," she said scornful, "I told them flat that our children are not like this but they..." Her words died out. "What?" Sidharth asked. "They were saying that Sana is a city girl and girls like her are fast and easy," she said. I felt disgusted. "Who said that?" Sidharth asked clenching his fists, angrily. "Leave them. Let Sana move back here until she is ready to leave," she said. We frowned at each other. She came up to me and smiled, holding my hands. "Sana, everyone here knows the girl you are and you don't have to prove yourself to anyone but the villagers will talk and I don't want that affecting any of you. Hence I am telling you, move back here," she said. I held her hand saying, "Ok. I will move back here." She smiled and cupped my face. "I'll just go back with Sidharth and get some clothes and come back," I said. She left the kitchen and I turned to a furious Sidharth. "I know who did this," he said gritting his teeth. I also knew who he was thinking about and faced him. "Sidharth, calm down. Don't do anything you will regret later," I said. "Whatever I do, I promise you I will never regret it," he said fuming. "Listen to me," I said holding his elbows, "You don't have to tell anyone anything. If that's what they think of me then that's their mistake. I don't care what they think." "Then they should just keep their thinking to themselves. Why spread it?" He said. "Sid..." I said but he raised his hand stopping me saying, "You can take something like this lightly. Don't expect me to. I won't. They will pay the price for their mouths." He left the kitchen in a storm and I followed him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid.