Lucy Had Nothing

The thing Lucy feared most in the world wasn't tangible, like her fear of insects. She didn't talk about it often, if at all. The only way she would mention it, is likely if you had a deep, long conversation with her and she brought it up. But the thought scared her so much, she daren't say it out loud, for what if this made it come true?

The thought of Narnia, Aslan, God, everything she believed in not being real, was the scariest thing in the world for Lucy Pevensie.

Ever since Lucy was a little girl she had been a huge believer. She believed in magic, and fairies, and love, and the goodness of people. She believed that every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings. She believed in faith trust and pixie dust, and angels, and that never growing up is the much better option. She believed in everything, and everyone.

So when she found a magical land called Narnia in the back of the old wardrobe at the professors house, she had no trouble believing it was real. Because Lucy had always believed that the impossible was possible. Narnia was just like a dream come true for her.

It tore her heart in half when her family dismissed her, and called her a liar. And she just couldn't understand why the wardrobe was empty when she tried to show them. She knew it was real, she knew she had been there. But they made her doubt it slightly, and this scared her.

Lucy was so excited to take them to Narnia, and introduce them to Mr. Tumnus. She made a new friend, and he saved her. She wanted them to see the lamppost she found in the snowy wood, because it gave her a feeling she just couldn't explain. And Lucy wanted her family to feel it too.

But it was gone, and she didn't know why. Though her siblings made her have doubts, Lucy knew it was real, and she needed to go back. And her siblings needed to come with her.

So, late that night, she found her way back to the wardrobe, with a burning candle in her hands. Young Lucy hesitated before opening the wardrobe door. Had it all been real? Did she just have an overactive imagination? What if she opened the door to disappointment once again? No. She told herself, she knew it was real and it happened. It would be worse if she never opened the door again, never knowing what could have been; than if she opened the door and found out it was all a dream.

Lucy opened the wardrobe door, and the flame atop the candle in her hands, was blown out by the wind from the wardrobe. Narnia was real, just like she knew. Lucy smiled widely, and stepped into the wardrobe, ready to see her friend Mr. Tumnus again.

Eventually, all the children found Narnia, proving that Lucy had been right all along. They apologized, and she forgave them. And Lucy thought, if this ever happened again, her family would believe her. Because she had been right about Narnia.

Unfortunately, Lucy was proved wrong on her second trip to Narnia. She saw Aslan, saying to follow him, but nobody else saw him. So, once again...they didn't believe her.

Peter was convinced it was an ordinary lion that Lucy mistook for Aslan. Susan never found it easy to believe in the unseen. Edmund was the only one who believed her, because last time he didn't, he was proven wrong. So it only seemed logical to believe her this time. But Peter and Susan didn't see it this way.

In the end, she had been right once again. Just like the time before, her family apologized for not believing her. But she struggled with all of this more than she let on.

Lucy always believed in things strongly, she always had a steady and unwavering faith. But, the things she believed in the most, so much so that she knew they were right in her bones, were the same things her family always thought to be untrue. And this made her doubt herself. She still had a strong faith, but this made it harder for her, and it hurt her. Lucy's belief and faith was the very foundation of who she was, and when people doubted this-especially her family- it killed her.