Lost Without You - Part 2

Peter's breath hitched the second he saw Edmund. Edmund. His brother. His little brother. The brother he's supposed to look after. The brother he's supposed to protect with his life. His only brother. And here he was, lying in a hospital bed, barely clinging to life.

   It took a few moments, but Peter eventually found the strength to move his feet. He slowly made his way over to the bed where his brother laid.

   Lucy gasped when she saw Edmund, and more tears rolled down her cheeks. She didn't waste a second, and was at his side only moment after entering the room.

   Susan swallowed hard, and slowly followed Lucy. She placed a gentle hand on her sister's shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. She had tears in her eyes, and was trying her hardest not to let them fall. But that seemed to get harder by the minute.

   The three of them stood there for Aslan knows how long, just staring at Edmund with tears in their eyes.

Eventually, they sat down in the chairs around the bed. Peter on one side, and Susan and Lucy opposite him.

Peter slowly took hold of Edmund's hand. It was cold, and rough, covered in cuts, scrapes, and bruises. Not warm, and soft like it should be. He took a deep breath, looking his brother over once more."He looks...so...small." He choked, two tears rolling slowly down his cheeks.

   Peter was right, Edmund did look small. He didn't look like the fifteen year old he was. Right now, all Peter saw was his baby brother. He suddenly looked twelve years old again. He was lying in the hospital bed, not moving a muscle. He was hooked up to countless machines. He was barely even breathing on his own.

Seeing Edmund in this state shattered Peter's heart, and it turned his stomach. But he couldn't - he wouldn't - look away. Edmund needed him more than anything right now, he needed them all. Even if he didn't know it.

Lucy sniffled when Peter said this. "He'll be okay." She said slowly. She gently took hold of Edmund's other hand, being extremely careful since it was wrapped in a cast. "I know he will." She breathed, wiping the tears from her eyes.

They sat in silence for a few more minutes before Susan spoke up. "What happened Peter?" She asked slowly.

Peter closed his eyes as a tear ran down his cheek. He let out a long sharp breath, before slowly opening them again.

   Lucy and Susan were both looking at him, a hint of curiosity, but mostly sadness, in their eyes.

Peter swallowed hard as he looked down at his brother. "He saved me." He choked.

  "How?" Lucy asked.

Peter took a deep breath. "The floor beneath me started to crack, I didn't even notice. But Edmund did. He pushed me out of the way. We both fell to the ground, Edmund landed right where the floor was breaking. I tried warning him, but before I could say anything...the floor beneath him broke." He took a deep breath, swallowing hard. "I could only watch as he fell through the floor. I tried getting to him but...but the ceiling fell in before I could."

Susan gasped, and Lucy let out a small sob.

"I should have tried harder to get to him quicker. If I had then maybe he would be-"

"Peter." Susan said quickly. "Please don't blame yourself for this. It's not your fault."

Peter shook his head. "I should have been quicker."

"Even if you had been, there's nothing you could have done." Said Susan. "You wouldn't have been able to get him out on your own. That hole was deep. And you could've been hurt too. You know Edmund wouldn't want that."