The Best Gift I've Ever Recieved

Set about a year before The Lion The Witch and the Wardrobe.

"Dinner's ready!" Helen Pevensie called, as she put the final dishes on the table. She sighed sadly as she sat down, waiting for her children. She just got the news today that their father wasn't going to be able to come home for Christmas, and she was dreading telling them. Especially Edmund.

Ever since his father left to fight in the war, he had been very distant. He didn't talk nearly as much, and spent most of his time alone, in his room. Lately, he seemed to be doing a little better though. Most likely because Christmas was coming up, and he loved Christmas. He also thought he would finally get to see his dad again, which made him happier than anything. But now, he wouldn't be able to see him. His mum just hoped he would be alright.

"Hi mum!" Lucy said excitedly, as she walked in the kitchen and took a seat.

Helen looked up, smiling at her daughter. "Hello Lucy." She said kindly.

"I just finished making everyone a Christmas card!"

Helen smiled, chuckling slightly. "That's wonderful, dear." She said, seeing Susan and Peter walk in and sit down. "I'm sure everyone will love them."

Lucy smiled.

"Where's Edmund?" Helen asked a moment later."

"I told him it was time to eat." Peter said, sighing slightly. "He said he'd be here in a minute."

His mother slowly nodded.

About two minutes later Edmund walked in and sat down. He immediately began putting food onto his plate, not even looking at his family.

Peter and Susan looked at each other, and Helen sighed sadly, but nothing else was said. So they all got food and began eating.

When everyone was nearly finished, Helen decided to break the news to her children.

"I got a letter today, kids." She said slowly.

Edmund's head shot up. "A letter?" He asked quickly. "Was it from dad?"

Helen took a deep breath. "Yes, Edmund it was."

"What did he say? When will he be home for Christmas?"

Edmund was looking at his mother eagerly, his eyes filled with hope. A hope she hadn't seen in him, in much too long. This only made what she was about to tell him, so much harder.

Helen took a deep breath, forcing back her tears for the sake of her children. She swallowed hard before speaking. "I'm afraid he won't be."

Edmund's face immediately fell. "What?" He choked after a moment.

"It seems, the war is much worse than we thought. And your father, can't come home for Christmas. I'm so sorry."

"Daddy won't be here for Christmas?" Lucy asked, her eyes wide and filled with tears.

Helen looked at her youngest daughter, giving her a sad smile. "I'm afraid not, darling." She said.

Lucy sniffed as two tears fell down her cheeks, before she looked down at the ground.

Peter and Susan shared a sad look, before looking over at Edmund.