Like an Ocean

(Set about a week after the coronation of the Pevensies)

It was a day like any other. The Pevensies had woken up, ate breakfast, then they all went to do their own things. But Edmund's day was about to change dramatically. Edmund had gone to his room and began writing, about halfway through though his pencil broke.

"Ugh!" Edmund said as he rolled his eyes. He looked around his room but saw no other pencils, and sighed.
"I suppose I will go borrow one from Peter." Edmund said as he left his room, and headed for his brothers.

As he walked down the hallway he heard Peter, Susan and Lucy all laughing inside Peters room. Which was to be expected. Lucy wanted to play a game and Peter offered to play with her, Susan decided she ought to join in as well.

Edmund was just about to knock on the door, but paused when Lucy began speaking.

"Peter there is something we need to tell you, about the night Aslan -d-died." Lucy swallowed hard and closed her eyes as the painful memory entered her mind again.

"What about it?" Asked Peter.
"The reason Aslan died." Susan said taking a deep breath. "It's not what you think."

Peter had a confused look on his face.
"What is the reason then?"

Susan took a deep breath.
"Remember when Jadis came to Aslans camp and said that Edmund would die on the stone table, then Jadis and Aslan spoke together for a long while?"

"Yeah?" Peter said as he listened intently.

"Well The Witch and Aslan made an agreement. That Jadis would kill Aslan, on the stone table, instead of Edmund."

Edmund's eyes went wide as he listened from outside the door.

"So your saying that...."
"Yes Peter." Susan said with a nod.
"Aslan died to save Edmund's life."

Peters eyes went wide with realization.

All of a sudden they heard a loud gasp from outside the door.
The three looked at each other with wide eyes.
"Ed!" Lucy said as she jumped from up and ran to the door, Peter and Susan following.

They opened the door to see Edmund running down the hallway, as fast he could by the looks of it.

"Ed!" Three voices shouted simultaneously.
But Edmund ignored them and just kept running.

"Oh this is all my fault!" Cried Susan.
"I never should have said anything without checking to see if he was there!"
"Wait." Said Peter.
"You didn't plan on telling him?"
"I just couldn't bare the thought of how awful he would feel when he found out."
"I know." Said Peter with a nod."
"But all the same, I think it's best that he knows."
"I suppose your right." Peter said.
"One of us should go talk to-."
"Where's Lucy?" Peter asked, seeing an empty spot where she had been standing moments ago.

The two looked down the hallway to see Lucy sprinting in the direction Edmund had gone, and smiled.

"I suppose Lucy will talk with him then."
Susan said with a smile.
Peter nodded, feeling proud of how brave Lucy was being.

♕♕♕

Lucy found Edmund on the balcony overlooking the beach. He was pacing back and forth, and breathing heavily.